"Berried Shrimp"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nedge85

Aquarium Advice Activist
On inspection of my 8gallon shrimp tank i discovered one of my glass shrimp has a rather large sandle. Will she require anything different to the norm or can i just let nature take its course?

You need do nothing. I have a species tank with red cherry shrimp. I started out with 20 last October, now I have over 400. If you want to breed them for whatever reason (food, sale, etc.), I suggest a species tank. All I do is feed them an algae wafer or 2 every couple of days and rinse the filters (looking for tiny shrimps when I do).

There is some debate over whether or not ghost/glass shrimp babies will survive non brackish water, but some have had success with some types..it really just all depends I think. There isn't anything special you can do other than make sure there is moss for them to hide in and no natural predators. If she is just now saddled it doesn't necessarily mean she will be berried...that all depends on if she breeds with a male shrimp or not.

I have a mix species tank, i started with 10 cherry ( who bred whilst well hidden), then added 12 rainbow shimp ( which seemed to have died out bar 1 and a cherry hybrid), and more recently 6 glass, 1 orange delight and 3 bamboo. These are the first iv knowling seen saddled. And the glass have definately become the dominant species with one female having reached a similar size to a bamboo

The saddle is defo berried, 3 live moss balls available.
And i forgot to mention theyre fed on a mixture of shrimp feed and algae concentrate

Back
Top Bottom