Bert's 60g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is interesting. Im tracking my daily rise of tds based on my doses. Im seeing daily increases of 10 as well. Im slowly dropping mine as the ghosts do fine but not my sakura.

I'm also trying to issolate what raises it the most. Also watching the red in my lilly and tops of rotala on fe days.

Keep sharing your numbers.

This is the same for me too. Two doses and TDS has risen by 30ppm so not far off. I'm just about to check this morning to see if yesterday's photoperiod brought it down some.

I posted some observations in my thread.

Dosed macro's and mgso4 today.

TDS went from 94-107

Ordered some pogo helfari and some more blyxa japonica.
Might not be able to get the helfari (was out of stock last time I tried)

Hoping to fill out the slopes abit more :) I've removed the golden barbs from the tank because after reading up about them they are plant eaters! (Should have done my research before I got them)

Only lost a few strands of HC Cuba to them so no great loss!

Things are looking good today!
The hygro is starting to recover after being bleached and curled,

AR mini is still all twisted but has positive new growth (I'll be trimming out the tormented leaves)

HC Cuba has signs of new growth!

S repens are looking really healthy! Plenty of growth aswell.

Everything is looking nice and clean! Few pictures of what I've mentioned:
http://pho.to/AbqHT

Nice cable ties [emoji23]

This is great news. How many parameters have you changed to see these results?

Nice cable ties [emoji23]

This is great news. How many parameters have you changed to see these results?

I knew you would say that haha I saw the picture after I took it and was like " I bet cal brings up the cable ties"

To be honest I've completely changed everything.
Less micro's but same amount of iron.
2.1g kno3 was dosing 1.6g
0.5g phosphate was dosing 1g
Dosing mgso4 to EI when I never was before
Stopped using GH booster after water changes.

My dosage however is more scientifically chosen now. Closer to ideal parameters rather than over dosing everything.

Kno3 is slightly under EI
Phosphates is full EI
Macros is nothing like EI
Iron is full EI

I knew you would say that haha I saw the picture after I took it and was like " I bet cal brings up the cable ties"

To be honest I've completely changed everything.
Less micro's but same amount of iron.
2.1g kno3 was dosing 1.6g
0.5g phosphate was dosing 1g
Dosing mgso4 to EI when I never was before
Stopped using GH booster after water changes.

My dosage however is more scientifically chosen now. Closer to ideal parameters rather than over dosing everything.

Kno3 is slightly under EI
Phosphates is full EI
Macros is nothing like EI
Iron is full EI

Sorry but they seemed to be growing nicely I had to mention them ☺

Ok so I was kinda grouping fertilisers in to one parameter, the others being light, co2 and flow etc. It seems like you have targeted nutrients and have seen an improvement? From what I gather you are also increasing light too?

Did you do any large water changes to bring the level of nutrients down?

Perhaps large amounts of macros are competing for uptake and were causing problems or they were alleviating symptoms from heavy metal accumulation?

Sorry but they seemed to be growing nicely I had to mention them ☺

Ok so I was kinda grouping fertilisers in to one parameter, the others being light, co2 and flow etc. It seems like you have targeted nutrients and have seen an improvement? From what I gather you are also increasing light too?

Did you do any large water changes to bring the level of nutrients down?

Perhaps large amounts of macros are competing for uptake and were causing problems or they were alleviating symptoms from heavy metal accumulation?

Oh my bad!
I've actually dropped my co2 abit (one of my angels seemed to be struggling with it)

just turned my lighting over to 80% last night so today will be my first day at 80. Has been 70 for 2 days.

I removed the duckbill off my small canister and it's now just a pipe as the bill was sticking out of the water and was staying to grow brown slim and I now get even more surface agitation (again I thought this may help the Angel)

In 2 weeks I've done 3x 50% water changes and 1x 80% to stabilise nutrients and give me a base TDS to work off. I'll be doing 50% weekly from now on (unless algae pops up, then I'll be doing a 25% mid week aswell.

The Angels looking a lot better I think it's been getting bullied out of food by the other Angel (I'm very lean on my feeding) planning to increase my feeding slightly aswell.

Oh my bad!
I've actually dropped my co2 abit (one of my angels seemed to be struggling with it)

just turned my lighting over to 80% last night so today will be my first day at 80. Has been 70 for 2 days.

I removed the duckbill off my small canister and it's now just a pipe as the bill was sticking out of the water and was staying to grow brown slim and I now get even more surface agitation (again I thought this may help the Angel)

In 2 weeks I've done 3x 50% water changes and 1x 80% to stabilise nutrients and give me a base TDS to work off. I'll be doing 50% weekly from now on (unless algae pops up, then I'll be doing a 25% mid week aswell.

The Angels looking a lot better I think it's been getting bullied out of food by the other Angel (I'm very lean on my feeding) planning to increase my feeding slightly aswell.

What's the feeling so far with this tank? Pros/cons any concerns or anything you are particularly happy with?

Do you feel like it's going in the right direction?

What's the feeling so far with this tank? Pros/cons any concerns or anything you are particularly happy with?

Do you feel like it's going in the right direction?

Yea I'm really happy with it. The HC Cuba is driving me crazy tho. It tends to get disturbed easily and is struggling to keep the runners rooted in.

Overall everything is really clean so I have no complaints this far. I can picture how it's going to look when it's all grown in so I'm pretty excited for that ;) maybe a few more plants to come?

If the HC doesn't start working for me after another 2 weeks I might have to consider another carpet plant.

Yea I'm really happy with it. The HC Cuba is driving me crazy tho. It tends to get disturbed easily and is struggling to keep the runners rooted in.

Overall everything is really clean so I have no complaints this far. I can picture how it's going to look when it's all grown in so I'm pretty excited for that ;) maybe a few more plants to come?

If the HC doesn't start working for me after another 2 weeks I might have to consider another carpet plant.

That's great [emoji846]

Monte Carlo is supposed to be easy to grow but I'd imagine it could suffer the same problems.

That's great [emoji846]

Monte Carlo is supposed to be easy to grow but I'd imagine it could suffer the same problems.

Yea I'm really not sure what fish is disturbing it. I thought it was the otto's but I'm thinking maybe the Angels have been tugging on it. I've got some in there now that's attached to stainless mesh so hopefully it gets some soils roots and beds in ;) just a waiting game I guess [emoji51]

Waters looking a little hazey today for some reason? I've got some serious pearling pearling happening on the hygro aswell.

I'm still not convinced that my micro dosage is right. I may even drop it down to 0.1g. The AR mini is still looking abit twisty/stunted.

Starting to see my first lot of algae growth. Some GSA has started to form on the older hygro leafs and a few of the ruff looking crypt leafs.

Biggest concern at this stage is the haze in the tank. If it's the same tomorrow I might do a small water change and stop dosing micro's untill next week.

Currently at 80% lighting. I'll be at 90% tomorrow and then Sunday will be the full 100%!

I can't believe how difficult it's become to find the balance with ferts. I did another 90% water change last night. My rotala wallichi and Pogostemon stellatus haven't grown at all since I trimmed them which was a few days ago now. I checked my TDS last night and after dosing full EI levels yesterday morning for macros it was 200ppm still nothing has changed. No improved colouration or growth that's why I did my water change. TDS this morning is back at 130ppm. I'm not dosing anything now for the next few days just to try and confirm whether I have a deficiency or not.

Back
Top Bottom