Best bacteria in a bottle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishOwner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently attempting to cycle a shrimp tank (not working at all) and read on multiple occasions that bacteria supplements are almost a requirement.

What's the best BB in a bottle to buy? I've heard of multiple kinds working. I already tried Seachem Stability (basically an expensive water bottle from my experience).

Ive had best results with Dr Tims One and Only. I dont think anyone can say which one is best. They are all hit and miss and whether they work or not can be down to how they are transported and stored which will down to the distributer and seller, not the manufacturer.

Only other thing i would say is that people often say stabilty causes a lot of nitrite and doesn't do much else.

I used stability and he’s right after about a week n some my nitrite was between 3 and 5 and my nitrates were elevated too. But the tank was filled with distilled water

I tried Stability at the beginning of the cycle. The ammonia and the nitrites didn't change, but the nitrates went way up.

When you say the ammonia and nitrite didn't change, what kind of levels where they stuck at? What are they now?

Ammonia is always stuck at whatever I dosed (right now at 2 ppm), and nitrite is always zero ppm. Nitrates went up a bit (5 ppm) even though ammonia didn't move, and I'm sure Stability did that.

Full params:
10 g tank
2 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
2.5 ppm nitrate
6 gH
0 kH
6.4-6.6 pH
Brightwell Rio Escuro buffering soil, dwarf water lettuce, dwarf sagittaria, java moss, and anubias nana
Sponge filter rated for 55 g, but operating at around half capacity

Back
Top Bottom