Best canister filter for 65gal fw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read alot of posts and reviews on different canister filters and am looking for folks who have actual experience with the filters. Please reply if you have any opinions/ideas/news, any at all. Thanks in advance. I will be setting up a 65gal fw in a month or so and am trying to find the best possible choice of equipment. The tank will be in a common area of an open concept home so noise will be a big factor in my decision. Also looking for "over-filtration" (something rated for a larger aquarium, say 75gal). Lats but not least will be ease of maintenance and flexibility of media. Oh yeah, i suppose price will play a role as well. Thanks again!!

Our local petsmart has the Proquatics 160 on cleareance for 34.99 and the 240 for 47.00. These are usually $130 and $170. I won't buy fish from them again but I could pass these up.

If you buy online (bigalsonline,drsfostersmith,etc) you can get more filter for your money. I run both a Fluval 404(80 gallon) and an Eheim Ecco Comfort 2234(46 gallon). Both do a good job.The Fluval(90$) is rated at more gph and cost about the same as the Eheim(80$). The Eheim is a little quieter but both would be acceptable in the family room. My tanks are in the guest bedroom and no one ever complains about having to sleep with the fishes.

I use Rena Filstar XP3 canisters on my tanks and have nothing but good things to say about them. They are a joy to maintain, quiet, and do a great job. Oh yeah, they're a heck of lot cheaper than Eheims for the same flow rate. I think BigAls has them for around $100. A single XP3 would be perfect for your tank size.

You'll hear a lot about how silent eheim's are. But as long as you have a stand for the filter to sit inside, the minute amount of sound produced by a Filstar will go unnoticed.
The filstar XP2 is rated for a 75 gallon tank, but the XP3 would be fine...certainly not overkill.

Made a few changes to the plan... ...Decided that putting the tank in the den will make more sense. There is more available room for it and Less traffic. I've pretty much decided on the rena filstar. Probably the xp3 as I do like more than enough filtration. My other option is to dual up systems. Maybe an xp2 for now, since there won't be many fish in there and in a couple months adding a submersible filter (fluval 4 most likely) The noise of the filter isn't as big of a concern now so price becomes a major facter. Can't see myself shelling out the $300+ an eheim would cost. Very nice filter though. Anyways thanks for the input, I did find an xp3 at "jlaquatics.com" for 149.95 cdn. (big als online had it for $199.95 cdn.) Thanks again.

Hello,

I would suggest to check the Eheim specials in Canada before making your final decision. I recently bought at a local Montreal shop an 2026 Eheim Pro II will all the substrate for 289.00 canadians.

I have been running Eheim for more than 15 years. I had a model 2011 if remember correctly that ran from 1990 to 2001 with all the original parts. (I gave it away when I moved three years ago but I would not be surprised if the unit is still running).

The 2026 Pro II is ratied for up to 90 gal which means it would be great to keep a 65 gal clean.

AND the greatest thing of all is the fact that the unit is SELF-PRIMING, no by-pass issue and reliable.

Well just my 2 cents. Yes I admit , I am very partial to Eheim because I belive that you get want you pay for on a long run.

I think I wrote a review on the Fluvals. You might want to check it out.

Basically I was happy with the one I had until the second one only lasted a year. Currently using an Eheim. No problems except that it isn't self cleaning. ;) But then none are.

Eheim is my choice. I have used a lot of different filter types and it is the one that i constantly recommend to everyone that i talk to that is looking to get into the aquarium hobby.

I now have two Rena Filistar XP3's, I have actually changed over from Fulval to them and from my expeirence will never use Fluval again! The XP3 is much more easy on maintence, they are easyier to take apart and clean and do a much nicer job at keeping the water cyrstal clear in both my tanks.

I would use two Marineland H.O.T canister filters that hang on the back or a Marineland Magnum 350. You can buy them at www.bigalsonline.com were everything is half the price of Petsmart and Petco. Also they are a very secure website so you should check it out if you need supplies.

what would an h.o.t. canister filter that hangs on the back. That sounds like two different filters?

Back
Top Bottom