Best Long Lasting Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Muscle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know a lot has changed over the last several years in the substrate scene, so I'm wondering what is currently considered to be the best long lasting (10+ years) substrate for planted tanks (money being no object)? Is it still Flourite?

Thanks,
Harry

Most of the best aquascapers use the ADA products, specifically ADA power sand as a bottom layer with ADA amazonia on top.

Some even use substrate additives on the bottom glass before adding substrate. James Findley is one to do this.

However, Eco complete is a good option if you don't have the money to dish out on the ADA products.

I have heard ADA is top notch. If I'm not mistaken they sell all kinds of accessories for planted tanks as well that you may need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have heard ADA is top notch. If I'm not mistaken they sell all kinds of accessories for planted tanks as well that you may need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah but you better be ready to sign over both kidneys and your first born lol.

Lol! I've seen their adverts in magazines. But the OP did say if money were no object.
;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for everyone's input so far, unfortunately ADA stuff isn't really long lasting (at least based on what I've read). I'm more interested in a substrate that can stay in the tank for 10 years without needing to be replaced. The ADA stuff sounds like it slowly turns to mud, especially if it is disturbed much.

Thanks,
Harry

Thanks for everyone's input so far, unfortunately ADA stuff isn't really long lasting (at least based on what I've read). I'm more interested in a substrate that can stay in the tank for 10 years without needing to be replaced. The ADA stuff sounds like it slowly turns to mud, especially if it is disturbed much.

Thanks,
Harry

Hmmmm. I suppose Eco complete would be your best option then. It won't grow plants like ADA stuff will but it's not bad and in my experience it doesn't turn to mud like that. I had some for 2 years so maybe it will later but it looks to me like little bits of volcanic rock or something. Not the kind of stuff that would turn to mush.

Hmmmm. I suppose Eco complete would be your best option then. It won't grow plants like ADA stuff will but it's not bad and in my experience it doesn't turn to mud like that. I had some for 2 years so maybe it will later but it looks to me like little bits of volcanic rock or something. Not the kind of stuff that would turn to mush.

Eco is a pain to plant is and forget about carpet plants, mine was in tank a couple months before I got sick of it and went back to sand.
Brookster among others loves that brightwell substrate, that may be something to look into.

Back
Top Bottom