Best method to keep plants alive in fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjcballa22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im wondering if I can start discussion to see what people prefer as the best method for providing the healthier lifespan for their planted tank whether its lighting, fertilizer, co2 system or all three. Please enlighten me and I really have no clue where to start. Right now I do have over 5 different plants in my fish tank and I would like to keep them for long as possible. I took notice when the plant leaves started to decay/turn brown. So please let me know what is the most effective and cheapest way to go.

Some things about my tank-

Sand substrate

More of a peaceful community

Three pieces of wood

Aquaclear 50 filter

Air bubble tube

My lighting is not fancy

I am not sure of the names of the plants but if it matters, then I am willing take photos for anyone who can assist me. Many thanks!

Some pictures would certainly help in suggesting where you should go! :)

For your light in your tank you will have a low light planted tank. Plants that will work best for your tank are Bolbitis, Java moss, java fern, and anubias.

For a low light planted tank assuming you have plants that are suited to the light in your tank there isn't any special maintenance to keep the plants healthy. They will take care of things on their own.

If you decide to increase the light level on the tank then you will need to find a balance of ferts, co2, and light. Any imbalance between these will cause algae issues in the tank.

In my humble opinion, the "hierarchy of keeping plants alive" would be lighting, good substrate, Co2 and then Ferts.
The correct lighting is needed as a basis for photosynthesis, the substrate (for rooted plants) is where the majority of nutrition comes from, Co2 to boost the 'energy' to perform photosynthesis, and then ferts as needed if you see signs of deficiency.

That is how I would approach it. Again, this is MY opinion. Seems to have worked for me. (So far! :))

Hello bjc...

Most of the standard plants available will grow well with a two lamp strip. A couple of T5s, one a 10,000K and the other a 6500 or 6700K will work well. This way, your plants have the benefit of two spectrum lighting.

I use this type of lighting and mostly rely on the fish for the fertilizer. I feed them a balanced diet and they feed my plants.

Large, frequent water changes will provide a source of minerals the plants need for good growth.

This is just my approach. Plant and fish keeping doesn't have very strict rules for success. You just need water, food and light. There are many approaches that will work well.

B

@BBradbury- is there any light strip that I could buy to put in my hood light? Im hoping to prevent spending a fortune on lighting if thats the case.

In my humble opinion, the "hierarchy of keeping plants alive" would be lighting, good substrate, Co2 and then Ferts.
The correct lighting is needed as a basis for photosynthesis, the substrate (for rooted plants) is where the majority of nutrition comes from, Co2 to boost the 'energy' to perform photosynthesis, and then ferts as needed if you see signs of deficiency.

That is how I would approach it. Again, this is MY opinion. Seems to have worked for me. (So far! :))

Would you consider sand to be an acceptable type of substrate for plants?

It can be, depending on what you're trying to grow. If you could post some pictures we could ID from, that'd help us give you advice about the specific plants you have and how to care for them :)

It can be, depending on what you're trying to grow. If you could post some pictures we could ID from, that'd help us give you advice about the specific plants you have and how to care for them :)

Photo 1

Photos here

Attachments

• image-1711619982.jpg
    image-1711619982.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2644991663.jpg
    image-2644991663.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 61
The bulbs you can use depend on your fixture. Any kind of substrate can be used. My plants were growing well and going nuts on gravel with low light leds. But I still decided to go with dirt capped with the old gravel and I am upgrading the lights and eventually I am going to add a co2 system. From what I can see most people are using T5 HO or "high ouput"
It really just depends on the plants that you are growing as to what will work the best.

Any substrate is suitable for plant growth. Even the best plant substrates will require additional root tabs for the rooting plants. I have a tank with sand and another with flourite and don't really notice much of a difference.

B[/QUOTE]

The bulbs you can use depend on your fixture. Any kind of substrate can be used. My plants were growing well and going nuts on gravel with low light leds. But I still decided to go with dirt capped with the old gravel and I am upgrading the lights and eventually I am going to add a co2 system. From what I can see most people are using T5 HO or "high ouput"
It really just depends on the plants that you are growing as to what will work the best.

If the T5 is my best option, does this type of lighting affect the fish/shrimp in my fish tank?

Any substrate is suitable for plant growth. Even the best plant substrates will require additional root tabs for the rooting plants. I have a tank with sand and another with flourite and don't really notice much of a difference.

I heard about root tabs especially flourite root tabs? Correct me if Im wrong on the name but do you stick these tabs into the sand subtrate, right under the plants or anywhere in the sand?

I just tried the app now. Does it work? I posted two photos

Yeah that one worked.

I'm only new too, so hopefully someone more experienced can help out. But it looks like you might have an amazon sword in the back right of your first picture and a marimo ball in the front right.

I suggest looking up both of these plants' needs, but with the sword try and uncover the crown (white area at bottom of the leaf stems) a little bit, as I believe it should only be half buried (someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, though I'm fairly sure). It will also need root tabs as it's a heavy root feeder

Marimo balls don't really have a high level of care - some people keep them in glass cases - but I still strongly recommend looking them up to learn how to best care for them.

Edit: you can just place the root tabs into the substrate right next to the plant, if you don't think you'll be able to get it underneath. However underneath would be the best position for it

@BBradbury- is there any light strip that I could buy to put in my hood light? Im hoping to prevent spending a fortune on lighting if thats the case.

Without serious modification to your strip there's not much you can do to upgrade. You can get a good light for about $100 which is quite an investment. I would start off with easier low light plants to before trying to upgrade your lighting for more difficult plants. I personally didn't do that and went straight to high powered lighting and it worked out for me... kind of.

If the T5 is my best option, does this type of lighting affect the fish/shrimp in my fish tank?

The lights won't make much of a difference to your fish and shrimp at all. Some fish do like dimmer lights though but those are few and far between.

I heard about root tabs especially flourite root tabs? Correct me if Im wrong on the name but do you stick these tabs into the sand subtrate, right under the plants or anywhere in the sand?

Flourite is a type of plant substrate. But yes, root tabs are meant to be placed directly under the rooting plants.

Back
Top Bottom