BEST or FAVORITE brand of food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKEET

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best or the favorite brand of fish food used ?????

Hikari pond food and Wardleys. I've tested and reviewed samples of wardleys new products for them so I often get free stuff. I think they are mostly into goldfish so I don't know how good their tropical foods are but they have good ingredients for the golds.

I use New Life Spectrum as a staple and then other fresh stuff (orange, cucumber). I'm thinking of making my own food with mazuri gel powder.

coolchinchilla said:
I use New Life Spectrum as a staple and then other fresh stuff (orange, cucumber). I'm thinking of making my own food with mazuri gel powder.

who eats the oranges?

My goldfish love oranges too. The first time I gave it to them they looked at me like "what is That?" I let it stay in the tank for 3 days (I know I know) did a water change and most of the orange was gone when I took it out, and yes I fed them normally too.
Now when I give an orange, it is gone pretty darn quickly. I give some to my community tank too, they like it, but not as much as the goldfish do.

Where is new life spectrum sold ... i have looked for it at petco, petsmart, and petland and cant find it .... and which would be the best to feed as a staple for my community tank with bolivian rams , serpae tetras, bronze cories, swordtails, and a pleco ... i really wanna get off these tetra foods i have been using

Ray

My local pet stores (as well as the local PetCo) have a fairly limited range of brands: TetraMin, Wardley, and some Hikari...

I've had issues with Wardley flakes clouding the water (even if I feed lightly), so I but TetraMin tropical flakes. For sinking pellets I usually buy Wardley. For dried worms and such, I buy Hikari is possible, or Wardley if Hikari is unavailable.

I may ask the nice local pet store if they can start carrying New Life Spectrum.

For my cichlids, I have started with Aquarian brand pellet, as well as their Krill for my SW. Both have gone over real well. Seems like a quality brand, maybe worth a try.

The most important thing with food in my opinion is to feed a variety. Definitely don't pick one brand/type of food and only feed that. My fish love bloodworms, krill, peas, zuchinni, and they absolutely go insane for live crickets.

Viperboy said:
Where is new life spectrum sold ... i have looked for it at petco, petsmart, and petland and cant find it .... and which would be the best to feed as a staple for my community tank with bolivian rams , serpae tetras, bronze cories, swordtails, and a pleco ... i really wanna get off these tetra foods i have been using

Ray
Big Al's Online is where I got my NLS food.

I also feed many types of flake, freeze-dried, frozen, and pelleted foods. NLS is the staple though.

For flake I use TetraMin Tropical Crisps.

Krill,tubifex worms I use Hikari

Crumbles,food sticks and cichlid sticks I use TeraCichlid

Frozen foods are usually San Francisco Bay brand

Plus I feed them earthworms every Friday.

For flake, I feed Omega One. For sinking wafer, I've found Hikari to cloud the water the least, and they last several hours so everyone is sure to get some--my Ancistrus is a hog.

The flake food I really like is TetraMin tropical crisps. all of the flakes are just about the same size and they have 3 types. 1 designed for color, 1 designed for growth and 1 designed for health. I don't know how much of a diffirance it is between each flake but I like to think it helps keep my fish alive while cycling if I only feed them the ones for health lol

Back
Top Bottom