Best Sand-Sifting Gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need a goby to stir things up in my 28 and want a real busybody...not a watchman type. I really want a diamond, but they are just a little too big for a 28:( Any recommendations?

I just lost an orange-spotted Goby because of his burrowing...the rock collapsed on top of him...he was constantly digging and causing the reef structure to shift and fall..,.this was in a 35 gal hex...it had a deep sand bed which didn't help matters as it was just set on the sand...if you get one, I would suggest anchoring the LR on PVC or eggcrate or securing it somehow so you don't lose your stock to cave-ins. He did keep the sand in great shape...we are going to a 75 and I am looking for another Goby also...maybe Dragon...

Curly

I would suggest nassarius snails over a goby in that size tank.

Most gobies are going to have a "home base" and will pretty much stick to that area.

I have 4 monster and 2 small nassarius snails in there already. They stay in the back of my tank (but do a good job there:D). It's like they don't like the light and stay in the shadows. They never come near the front unless I'm feeding. They are there in seconds then.

I have about a 2" bed and my LR was placed before the sand to prevent collapses.

Can't find much info on the bullet goby. From pics, it looks like a dragon goby though. Are they the same?

Located some bullets (sleeper banded, dragon, etc.) locally they ranged from 2" to over 5" and they seemed to get a mouthful, then head to mid tank and crop-dust everything. Didn't care for that, and the size scared me in my 28. LFS owner showed me one I hadn't even thought about. Ended up with a twin-spot and he's already sifting away. Never rises more than a couple inches from the sandbed :D SHould stay smaller than the diamonds and bullets too.

Beautiful twin-spot too. Bottom fins are jet black with electric blue spots/lines and large ringed spots on his upper 2 fins. Very happy right now.

While I didn't take everyone's advice, leading me to a bullet goby ended up leading to the twin-spot so happy ending either way. Thanks alot guys/gals.

Located some bullets (sleeper banded, dragon, etc.) locally they ranged from 2" to over 5" and they seemed to get a mouthful, then head to mid tank and crop-dust everything. Didn't care for that, and the size scared me in my 28. LFS owner showed me one I hadn't even thought about. Ended up with a twin-spot and he's already sifting away. Never rises more than a couple inches from the sandbed :D SHould stay smaller than the diamonds and bullets too.

Beautiful twin-spot too. Bottom fins are jet black with electric blue spots/lines and large ringed spots on his upper 2 fins. Very happy right now.

While I didn't take everyone's advice, leading me to a bullet goby ended up leading to the twin-spot so happy ending either way. Thanks alot guys/gals.

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eggface:.,...lol

That`s what I have. That`s all they do is sift.

bulletgoby.jpg

i find that the Diamond Watchman Goby does the best job in cleaning, always moving and eating

NOT like the yellow face, that just chills under a rock all day, like mine :(

Sleeper goby is a sand sifting monster, maybe to much, might get sand all over LR, Decorations, Coral. but does a heck of a job

Sleeper goby is a sand sifting monster, maybe to much, might get sand all over LR, Decorations, Coral. but does a heck of a job

How very true. If you look up a few post you`ll see my purple brain with sand all over it.

Back
Top Bottom