best size for new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swmmnglessons

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that the only tank I currently have is a 5 1/2 gallon but I was pleased to see lots of people bought their tanks at Wal-Mart which is where i got my kit. I've had it for a few weeks now and everything is going pretty good. My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to use it as a chance to get a free fish tank as a present. What's a good size for a beginner? I currently have neon tetras, a gourami, an algae eater and a teeny frog so for my new tank, which will be displayed in our living room (the other is in the bedroom), I wanted some really cool fish to show off. Please give me your advice or tips for cool fish to start with.

Well I would say first off. In your living room look around and pick a spot or spots you feel the tank would go best. Find a wall that has an electrical outlet on it and is NOT in direct path of the sun. Find a spot that is not infront of an AC or HEAT vent.

Once you have found the sutible spot measure the space. I would say a 29 gal tank is a nice size if space permits.

Of course a 55 gal is nice if buget permits.

Well it depends in three things i think .Money How much do you have to spend ? Barring some really good buy like a yard sale or in the paper or a really good sale somewhere fish tanks are not that cheap to me. Of course I'm not rich either.Next space,what can you fit in your house .DO NOT forget the floor strength , you may
be able it buy that 125 gal but will the floor hold 1250 LBS.!!!
Lastly what fish do you want in it and why . no sense in putting a beta in a 55 gall or an oscar in a 10 gal.

All weigh measures can be thrown out the window, any modern home can support the 12 -13 pounds per square inch that an aquarium bears. (remember the refrigerator on the small footprint?) IMO a 55 gallon tank is great and reasonably priced, my 2nd choice would be a 29 gallon. I agree with Michael in the choice of African Cichlids. Africans require higher ph, higher calcium levels and moderate water flow as well as numerous caves and hiding places. They are very territorial. You might also check out Central or South American Cichlids. You gotta love those Cichlids. Tetras are also a good choice, especially Buenas Aries Tetras as are Pacu's. Just remember that fish grow and you need to be cognizant of their eventual size when planning a tank. Good luck in your choices.

Well, 55's are nice. I have one. If you have the room for a 4' tank though, I'd go with a 75 if possible. That gives you another 288 square inches of surface area and the cost is not all that much more. If you have room only for a 3' tank, I'd go with a 30 gal. If the 3' won't quite go, then the 29 gal is 30".
Logan J

Logan's comments are right on the mark. If you are going with a 55 really should consider the 75g. I wish I had the 75g. One thing I'm looking at for my second tank is getting something second hand from either an auction or ad in the paper. I've seen some nice deals for complete systems. Even if one or two components, like the filter or hood, etc, would go bad, you'd still save money.

Tom

aim some house and trailers can't take a lot of weight on them if you put it the wrong way with the joist you will no support under the tank as for 12-13 LBS where did you
get that number are you an engineer .

I have tried to figure the lbs per sq in and did not come up anywhere near 12-13. My 110 gal, which is a 4' tank, came in at about 2.4 lbs per sq in. The stand has a 6" footprint all the way around and that's all I figured as load bearing surface. The statement that most modern houses will bear the load of an aquarium is probably true in most cases. I lived in a doublewide mobile home for a while (1986 model) that had 2"x6" floor joists on 24" centers. If you set a tank just right, it could be resting on only one of these. I guess my 110 weighs in the neighborhood of 1500-1600 lbs with everything in it. That's counting the water in the sump too. I wouldn't trust a 2x6 with all that. On the other hand, my house which was built in 1972, has 2x10 joists on 16" centers. The moral of this story? Crawl under and look before you get much over a 55 gal. That is, as always, JMHO.
Logan J

I stand corrected on the lbs per sq inch as in the neighborhood of 2.4 - 5.5 depending on the width of the stand edges. This even more so strengthens my statement. A couch weighing just 200 lbs. on 4 1 inch legs has more loadbearing weight per sq inch than a 110 gallon aquarium, not to mention a refridgerator. I do, however agree that it should be placed over joists if a non stable floor was present (particle board in a mobile home for example) I screwed up my math on the original calculations. Thank goodness logan noticed it.

In regards to the weight issue, I wouldn't much worry about it. I have a 150 gal. x-high (4' tank x 24" x 30 I think) It is supported by 2x6 frame and legs with 3 2x6 "joists" (not counting frame ends) and sits on a 3/4" piece of plywood. I estimate this tank's weight at somewhere just under a ton, (approx. 1900 lbs) and haven't had any problems at all.
Conventional wisdon says get the biggest aquarium you can afford. Keep in mind that bigger tanks require bigger filters, more substrate, more stone, driftwood, plants etc, so consider those costs as well. I have a 55 gal as well and wish I had opted for the 75 gal.
As for fish...gotta love those African Cichlids. Nothing says aquatic beauty like a big tank with a breeding pair of Frontosas!!!!! :D

Since you bought your first tank from WALMART, a 55 gallon tank kit would be an easy choice, but not a good one. I think you should buy a 29 gallon tank, get a good fluval or eheim filter, light, heater, and go with cichlids, a 55 gallon tank will cost about 200 more dollars considering the bigger filter, and stand and tank. A 29 gallon tank is good, but the walmart kits have such bad filters. My money is on a make your own tank thing, more fun and safer in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom