best substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemyguppies

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about completely redoing my 55 gallon planted tank in the next few weeks. I recently set up a 20 long with eco-complete, and i replaced the gravel in my two 10 gallons with floramax. I still have about 1 1/2 bags of floramax so i could just get another bag of that and probably have enough. What i want to know though, is which one is better and why, or another substrate that you think is best for planted tanks.

I set up both my 16g & 29g tanks with Flora-max, mainly because it was the only one offered here locally. I'm now starting with some very advanced plants and they seem to be doing well in the flora-max. Eco-complete, aqua soil, flora max, etc. all have little differences but will do the job. Which is best is a matter of personal experiences. But you're fine, not enough difference to warrant rebuying substrate. Good luck, OS.

there's always the option of having dirt as substrate as it guarantees the growth of plants for many years to come. if you're looking for gravels, then you can always have eco complete, seachem planted tank substrate, and many others supplemented with root tabs

In use both flora max and Eco complete. Personally I would buy the Eco complete for the ease of use. With the flora max I rinsed the bag for quite awhile and it still super clouded and was extremely dusty. You get more floramax for the money and since you already have some I would pick up another bag or two and just use that. Like mentioned above they all work well, it's just a matter of opinion.

Thanks for the input! I guess I'll probably just use the floramax then. Also the petsmart near me is selling it for $10 per bag right now, so that will be really cheap. Also what would be the best way to make this change? I have several 5 gallon buckets i could put the fish in, then remove all the plants, water and sand. Would this stress the fish out too much?

depending on the time from from tear down to set up you could use rubbermaid tubs. I bought 2 clearance 40gallon tubs and stuck one inside the other to give them more side wall strength so the water weight wouldnt cause them to bow. also doing that meant i could run a HOB on the tub.

I just did this also. I took a large rubber made container, put the fake decor in the tub, added tank water and the fish and it took me more than a few hours to get it ready so I ran my canister filter and an airline to the tub.

Back
Top Bottom