Best tank for Kirbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have yet again fallen in love with kirbenses (sp?) and was wondering about what tank i could put them in.

My research says they need about a 50 gallon tank and can be in a community, and need caves and hidey holes.

My 55 gallon is heavily planted , has 2 caves made of rocks, sand substrate, and 2 breeding angelfish, and a pleco

My 20 ( a lot lower than requirements) has many plants, a large piece of dw and should have some rummy nose tetras in the future. ( also was planning on a gourami, but plans change lol) and sand

And i have an empty 10 g with plants, no caves , gravel , and a sponge filter.
No current stock other than ghost shrimp

So what could i do? And what are the substrate requirements?

Thanks for reading!

I wouldn't add kribs to any of those tanks. The pair of angels would be aggressive and defend their young and kribs do not belong with south American tetras,

Either of those tanks can house a krib pair in. I would recommend putting them in the 20. A 20 IMO is the minimum. Though they are from Africa they will do just fine with rummys or any other tetras from South America as long as you don't care about making a biotite or anything. Also IME kribensis will be more aggressive than the angels if they spawn and they will like rabbits.

They are prolific breeders so they might behave aggressively to the tetras when they spawn

Either of those tanks can house a krib pair in. I would recommend putting them in the 20. A 20 IMO is the minimum. Though they are from Africa they will do just fine with rummys or any other tetras from South America as long as you don't care about making a biotite or anything. Also IME kribensis will be more aggressive than the angels if they spawn and they will like rabbits.

I dont have rummys yet, i ordered them through a lfs, and im considering canceling my order because its been a month.

Thy need caves right? I have a dw log with a small cave in it, and i could get more rocks to make caves.

I would like to have a breeding pair to breed them and sell the babies,

Thanks for the replys!

Yes they are and they are very aggressive spawners in my experience. But tetras should be just fine with them. Kribensis will stick to the bottom and stay near their fry.

There technically no longer a fish called a Kribensis, that was a very early name applied several fish from that region before they were properly Identified. The fish that most people call " Krib or Kribensis" is referred to as Pelvicachromis pulcher.

I agree that the 20 gallon would be the minimum and should be suitable for a single pair of Pulcher. However if it were me I would personally choose one of the locational variants of Pelvicachromis taeniatus. They are not as common in the hobby and their fry will actually sell where as you'll be stuck with a million Pulcher fry that you can't even give away.

I got a bunch of rocks to stack for thecaves, but i couldn't find any glue to stick them together. They are river rocks so they cant just lay onto of each other..

The glue has to be 100 %. Silicone right?

There's this putty stuff available at pet stores that you just work in your hand to activate it and use it to hold structure together. It's green but dries white.

I got a bunch of rocks to stack for thecaves, but i couldn't find any glue to stick them together. They are river rocks so they cant just lay onto of each other..

The glue has to be 100 %. Silicone right?

Yes the best stuff is GE windows and doors 1 you can find it in the paint section of Home Depot or whatever

Back
Top Bottom