Best tank options for comets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldsGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All, I know I've posted a similiar topic on here before, but as I may seriously be looking to buy a new tank to begin cycling it next year, I wanted to get some advice. First, let me say that along with religion and politics, tank and stocking guidelines should be a taboo topic, but seriously would like to hear advice particuarly if you have experience, or have some expertise, versus personal opinion I have four comet goldfish currently in a 55-gallon. Water parameters are all great and never had an issue with fish health. However, I know that 55-gallons is too small and will eventually cause issues. The largest is now about 5" excluding tail and the smallest 3" excluding tail. I know I have a bit more time, but want to get the tank that will be there permament home. Rehoming is not an option as I am attached, and pond is not an option as I live in a condo. Even if I moved to a house now, I think it would be hard to put them in a pond as I would be worried about predators, etc. It's not like they are just fish I purchased to fill a pond now. Anyway, due to living in a condo, I am restricted on space. I really don't have room for a 6' foot tank unless I put the tank in a spare bedroom, but that would mean I wouldn't enjoy the tank. From my readings on here and other forums, (and correct me if I'm wrong), but it's recommended to have 55-gallon for the first fish, and 20-gallons for each additional fish. Therefore, with my four it would mean a tank of 115 gallons. I am restricted to a length of 4' in my current space. My options are: 150-gallon tall tank 48x24x30 Or I could perhaps look into getting a 120 or 140 -gallon that would be 4' long. Haven't seen any particular tanks yet in those sizes. My thinking was the 150-gallon although deep, would provide more water as they grow. Or would it be just as well, with a 120 to 140 gallon that may be up to 5'. I saw one on Craiglist that was 140-gallon but 5' long (which I could do), but haven't heard back from them. So, what would be better: 150-gallon tall as above 140 -gallon but only 5' long PetSmart as the 150-gallon tank and stand on sale for $630 and another LFS I go to, has a much nicer set-up in the 150-gallon tall including canopy, furniture-like stand, light and glass lids for $1300. I would really appreciate some advice. Thanks Jeff

Honestly, a bigger tank is better for these guys even if it's deeper. Figure out what your budget and living arrangements will allow for in respect to space and decide accordingly. I am sure they will appreciate their new home no matter what your final decision is!

What would the absolute smallest tank size I could use while maintaining healthy water parameters and only do weekly PWCs?

I have a summer pond for my 4 comets, and a 90 gallon indoor tank for the winter. Previously, at 6" we had 2- 30 gallon tanks with 2 comets in each. I find that filtration matters more than swimming space, as they're no more active in the 800 gallon pond than in the tank. They're about 9" each now, 8 years old and thriving.

Thanks everyone. I just thought I would perhaps take advantage of Christmas specials or how to use my tax refund

Back
Top Bottom