Best type of gravel substrate to buy to aqaurium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to buy some gravel for my tank. Preferably black gravel. Are they all the same? Or is there some better than others?
I dont want any silicate or other chemicals leaking into water. And some gravel states 100% acrylic coating. Not sure what that means.

Any help?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I previously bought black gravel from a fish store, for another tank I have. And I have been battling brown algae to this day. Over 1 year now.
I think the gravel leaks silicates. I dont want to make the same mistake again.
So im looking for info on properties of gravel. Mainly black color.

The old tank that had diatoms is over a year old. Still has excess amounts of brown algae everywhere. I can only point it towards 2 things, tap water with silicates or gravel leaking silicates.

The new tank I bought just now has no gravel yet. Im still deciding which type to buy.

Is black quartz gravel safe? Does quartz promote algae or anything?

The old tank that had diatoms is over a year old. Still has excess amounts of brown algae everywhere. I can only point it towards 2 things, tap water with silicates or gravel leaking silicates.

The new tank I bought just now has no gravel yet. Im still deciding which type to buy.

Is black quartz gravel safe? Does quartz promote algae or anything?

In my opinion there are many other factors that can contribute to algea growth of any kind. I have never had an issue with any kind of gravel I have use in my aquariums.

Is your tank planted? Do you have any rocks you found outside in the tank? How long are your lights on?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm wondering if you are relating silicates to only black gravel or the coloring used for it?
Most of the brown type algae problems I've heard are in salt water tanks since some salt mixes contain levels of silicate.
Nitrate is another offender as well.

Tank info:
29g freshwater. Aqua clear 70 filter. Natural black rock gravel. No colouring.
My tank has been up for over 1 year. Still getting massive brown algae (diatoms) growth. No live plants. No real rocks. (only silk plants and plastic rock) Low 8 watt led light is on around 9 hours per day.

Amm:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: under 10 always

Very lightly stocked. Understocked a lot actually. Maybe I should stock more fish to get nitrates up so green algae will appear and will eat away the brown algae. (green looks better than brown)

For my new tank, I was thinking of buying this type of gravel:
Pisces Natural Quartz Gravel Diamond Black

Is it idea to use? Or will it give me some sort of problems later on?

Thanks guys.

Okay couple more questions, I apologize, I just don't think that the color or type of gravel you buy is the issue.

When you say natural black gravel does that mean you found black gravel? Or no.

Has the light been running for 9 hours a day since day 1?

How often do you do water changes?

Water change 20% weekly.
9 hours a day since day 1. Sometimes less.
Gravel is natural no coatings rough looking. Like real life pebbles and rocks. Just black. Bought from pet store.

Thanks.

When setting up a new aquarium the light should be gradually built up to the amount of time you want it on, otherwise going straight to 9 hours promotes major algae growth. I would suggest a blackout. You don't have any live plants so you don't have to worry about damaging them.

Turn your lights off for 5 days. While the lights are off, do one 70% water change heavily siphoning the gravel and cleaning the glass. Then do a 20% water change every other day for 4 days. After the 5 day blackout plug your lights into a timer and have it set for 4 hours on 4 hours off and then 4 hours on again! That should really help.

Lol wow. That's extreme. I'll give it a go. Thank you for all your help. Hopefully it works.

With 9 hours light per day, you likely have cyanobacteria, not diatoms. Reduction in the light window as well as splitting it will help to alleviate this.

In the mean time gravel vac and a blackout like SFA mentioned would be a good starting point.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol wow. That's extreme. I'll give it a go. Thank you for all your help. Hopefully it works.

Extreme but effective! The biggest thing is making sure you break up the light cycle after the blackout. If you don't do that, your problems will likely start all over again!

Ok now that I think about it, I may have over exaggerated with 9 hours a day.
Its more like 4 to 6 hours a day. Sometimes (once a week on weekends) it may be on for around 9 hours. Give or take.
Ive never really timed it.

Well. Your still going to need to do water changes. Your still going to have to blackout otherwise your still supplying the algae with light/ nutrients to grow.

If you can, get a timer switch for your lights. Then you can eliminate that particular uncertainty. Also very convenient :)

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom