best water test thats under $20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i dont have much money but i need a water tester that tests
-ammonia
-nitrite

anything extra would be awsome but its gotta be under $20,

are jungle test strips any good?

The one from walmart isn't actually API brand is it? I bought the actual API master liquid test kit for 17.99 they were on sale. Now I think their 21.99 or something, but you get over 800 tests. I do not like the jungle test strips, very inaccurate and difficult. They sell ammonia and nitrite liquid API kit for 10 bucks apiece, 20 dollars which only includes 25 each, so the master for 2 dollars more would be better. I don't know anything about the walmart brand, probably not any difference between API and walmart brand though.

Walmart brand merchandise is manufactured by the people who would do it for the lowest price. If you find out who they buy it from then you know who makes it. It could be just re-packaged, or built to walmarts specifications.

That looks nothing like API in the picture, nor does the description or title say API. I think it's just a walmart brand of API test kit. I don't know if it's any worse.
once again its api..... i didnt point out the bottles are exactly the same as the ones from API. just because they used a old pic doesnt mean its not.

nitrite_test.jpg

What is this Product, API or something else?
Q:
Is this API or another brand like the picture and are there 4, 5, or 6 tests the descrition says 6 the comment below it, it says 4 and the reviews say 5. I'm curious what actually do you get, is this something new? I know walmart use to carry the api brand kit in the store but I can't find it any more is this it's replacement?
7 months ago
By
Justinf1
Read all my Q&A (read all my Q&A)
Answer this Question

Answers
A:
I just ordered and got a new one. It is API. You can test LOW pH, HIGH pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrites. Technically, I'd call that four, but I suppose you could call it five. One (or maybe more) of the tests are two-part, with two solutions, so that may be the source of the confusion.
5 days ago
By
Wordswain
- Des Moines, Iowa

A:
Yes, it's the API brand. There are not 6 tests. There's 5. It's high range pH, pH, nitrate, nitrite, & ammonia. Two of the tests require use of two bottles. It comes in a sturdy plastic black "case" rather than the white one shown.
2 months, 1 week ago
By
Uraqt
- Iowa

A:
Yes this is the API brand that tests for Normal Range PH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. My box looks different that what is pictured here. It has a clear top and a black plastic bottom tray. It is the API brand. Maybe walmart.com just has an old pic or something.
2 months, 3 weeks ago
By
JinWV
- West Virgina

A:
It is API. You get 7 bottles total for 5 tests. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH and high range PH. The kit is not the one pictured, but similar. The base is black and not two rows of three but square with a divider in the middle four bottles on one side and back to back the other side has three with the four tubes.
if you read the reviews it says it many times...

Attachments

• api.jpg
    api.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 60
Ok thanks sorry for the confusion nowhere in the description it said it didn't come with nitrate tests which API does so that confused me. I'll start ordering from walmart now for my master test kits.

Ok thanks sorry for the confusion nowhere in the description it said it didn't come with nitrate tests which API does so that confused me. I'll start ordering from walmart now for my master test kits.
i would expect nothing more from walmart always getting the info on fish completely wrong lol

reading reviews can be a good thing since many times they have more of a clue what they are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom