Best way to trim Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please advise on how to trim Moss?

Moss can be pretty evasive so I need a fool proof plan of action.

I was planning on shutting off all circulation, trim with one hand and siphon in the other.

I used scissors, and cut the moss out as needed. This made a mess, so i grabbed a fish net, and scooped out all of the floating moss.

Yep turning off the filters help keep it from blowing around and using a net is usually easier than trying to syphon while clipping.

Thanks. I'm attempting to create carpet or 2" grassy appearance

I get so fed up with my xmas moss... i end up just ripping it up by hand. The stuff grows everywhere!!! anything that gets loose and blows around the tank i just let it get stuck to the filter intake then clean that off a few days later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a major trim of my flame moss. Unlike a lot of other plants, this stuff isn't that buoyant and wants to sink and float around to grow somewhere else. I try to catch all the cuttings with a net only to find a few stragglers popping up from the substrate later; pretty annoying. I discovered the best way (for me) was to pull whatever it is its adhered to (driftwood in my case) and cut it off outside the tank in a bucket.

Most moss has no max height except the more uncommon ones like fissidens fontanus and other similar types. Java, X-mas, Flame, etc., just keep on growing.

I've made a couple different removable pieces. Now it's just a waiting game. Lol. I took down my mini moss wall and used it for my new project.

Attachments

• image-1769908677.jpg
    image-1769908677.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2628385879.jpg
    image-2628385879.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1669859025.jpg
    image-1669859025.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 73
Thanks. I'm using Flame on the right , Xmas in the voids of the carpet and Xmas to the left. I'm hoping the Xmas on the left will look like it does online. The tubes have suction cups, so if I don't like it I can use in the background. Maybe it would look like a Xmas tree. Hmmm?!?

The moss hasn't begun to grow. Yes, moss balls are in the middle section in which Xmas is planted in the voids.

Back
Top Bottom