Beta, live plants, and light, oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
So apparently the nice bright lights I have in my tank are sutable for live plants. So I planted my tank. Now that Sammie and the plants are both in the tank, I have a bit of a problem. The light hits two parts of the tank in such a manner that Sammie can see his reflection. Thus when the lights are on, he's busy defending his territory! How dare that other Beta come close!
I'm just not sure Sammie needs to be en guarde for 8 hours a day. I have a feeling that might prove too stressful for him (though he seems to be preoccupied with the matter). Any suggestions:-??

Given a bit of time, you may find that your betta tires of going after his reflection and ignores it.

Given a bit of time, you may find that your betta tires of going after his reflection and ignores it.

I agree with this. When I moved my betta over to my 10g he did this a little bit, but the more the plants have grown (and he has gotten used to the tank) he has stopped this! And, he finally tired of picking on the three little peppered cories. They cohabitate beautifully now! It is so fun to watch!

I had the same thing happen :) I actually keep very small lamp on next to the tank which gives off enough light that he can't see his reflection. With the lamp off, it's like a person in a bright room looking out a window into the night...all you can see is yourself:) But the others are right, Sammie may tire of looking at himself soon enough.

Ok, I'll monitor the situation. He seems not to mind flairing up at himself over and over; it's kinda fun to watch. He looks so majestic all puffed up with fins spread.

Mine flare all the time. I think they are enjoying themselves, kind of a "Hey how good do I look thing."

Back
Top Bottom