Beta with angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyUser

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon long with plants and 2 angels. I wanted to introduce a beta fish in there and I was wondering if the beta will eat my plants or trouble my angels. I also want to add some other small fish. I also need a skimmer so if u know of any skimmers for the aquarium I have that would be great.
Thanks guys.

I had two angels in with our betta and he was not happy about it. They did not get along well at all. I took the angels to a friends 55 gallon and they are much happier now. But I would say it all depends on the temperament of the betta. They are all different

Well, there are some problems

1. Angels need a tank of at least 29 gallons, they will grow too big for your tank, especially two, so in a tank that small it is a big no no, I would actually try to se your angels
I have one angel in my 55 gallon with a male Betta, but that's a 55 gallon

Yea, I had to move my angels out of a 90 gallon because the tank was I very bad condition.
Thanks tho

I have a 20 gallon long with plants and 2 angels. I wanted to introduce a beta fish in there and I was wondering if the beta will eat my plants or trouble my angels. I also want to add some other small fish. I also need a skimmer so if u know of any skimmers for the aquarium I have that would be great. Thanks guys.

It is a bad idea.

In a tank that small I would not add a betta. Once you get the 90g fixed or a new larger than then it can be done. Right now I have 4 male Betta's in my 220g planted with 12 large adult breeding angels. The size of the tank and the amount of plants plays a big role in keeping these two species together successfully. But bear in mind that both Betta's and Angelfish have individual temperaments and if one or the other doesn't play nice with others then it won't work.

Most betta's don't like tank mates, own experience, none of my betta's liked them, liked being on their own and also a betta with a angel, a huge risk with fin nipping.

Also 20 gallon's is a little small for angels as well.

I had betas in with tank mates in my 10 gal and 7.5 gal and my sisters 5 gal. I'll have another in my 30 gal, hopefully this won't be the time I get a bad tempered one lol

I had one in with a mollies and they did great, But like Rivercats said I wouldn't do it until you either replace or fix your 90.

Thanks guys. Do beta fish require a heated aquarium, or can I leave them in a 10g with out a heater?
Thanks, you guys are great.
PS now I feel bad about putting my angels in a 20g :(

But how do they survive in pet smart in those small containers?

Not at all well! How many have you seen that have been in the stores for more than a few days in those cups that are lethargic and sometimes on the verge of dying? How many are removed from the shelf because they die? Some places give them a pellet or two a day and I've asked at some places and they don't even feed them. They either sell, which thank goodness many do sell fast, or when they die or look about ready to die they just remove them from the shelves.

They are from the tropic's and temps (if I remember correctly) even in the lower 70's can make the lethargic. I know tons of people say they've kept them for years in small bowls with no heat or filter but honestly why would you keep a fish in an environment not suited to them. I hate seeing them in those little cups as IMO it is cruel. One fish shop in town actually removes them from the cups and puts them in their tanks.

Personally I only single house a Betta in it's own tank if it proves it is too aggressive for a community. The 4 males in my 220g actually meet up sometimes and usually one will flare, then both turn and go in opposite directions. The big Angels completely ignore them as they ignore the Angels. The male in the 12g actually swims with the 5 male Endlers quite often. All are in planted tanks.

Oh my. That was touching. I hope I can get a nice tank for the beta, what would you say is the minimum aquarium size for beta fish? sorry for asking all these questions I've only had cichlid and community tanks are new to me. :p

They can live in one of those little 2.5-3g tanks if there is a heater and filter. Live plants are greatly appreciated by them as the Betta's often like to lay and rest in or on them.

Back
Top Bottom