Betta Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc166

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my betta for just over a month now. Tonight I noticed as soon as I turned on the aquarium night light my betta got rather aggressive towards my neon tetras. He would break up the school and chase after one but did not flare. I have never noticed this before except when I first introduced the neon tetras to the aquarium just over 2 weeks ago. He has never bothered with them after from my knowledge up until this point.

Should I be concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My recommendation would be to keep the betta in the 5 gallon and get a larger tank for the neons.

It depends. The behavior could continue or it might go away. I'd just watch them for awhile, like a few days, and if it does not go away it might be best to move them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sometimes as they mature into adulthood they get more aggressive and and similarly as they age can become more accepting of tankmates.

Sometimes you have no problems for months and then one morning wake up to a massacre. Have had this happen myself and seen many surprised Betta keepers with the same situation. Be aware and beware. Seems also to happen more frequently like that in smallish set ups like 5G and less.

I agree with the above posts. I keep my Betta fish by themselves in 10 gallon tanks and they are very happy.

Back
Top Bottom