betta and live bloodworm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmac1878

Aquarium Advice Activist
are live bloodworm a compatible food for a betta? i put a small bag of them into my tank nearly 2 weeks ago. unfortunatly, i didn't realise that feeding the entire bag would result in over feeding all the fish. the betta was extremely bloated, so i fasted the tank until all sizes were returned to normal.

since then, the (male) betta has been acting really wierdly, more than usual. he rests against the intake of my filter, but since the bloodworm incident, he has been doing this for long periods of time. so much that i've nearly scooped him out 2 or 3 times thinking he is dead. he hides a lot as well. he looks like he is the way out.

water parameters are fine . 0, 0 and 10.

wasn't sure what forum to put this in. here or the sick fish.

if anyone can shed any light on anything, that is if you can make any sense out of my ramblings, then that would be appreciated.

I wouldn't think it would be that bad considering most people feed freeze dried and frozen but...never know o_O Sometimes things just don't fit right with betta bellies..

My Betta used to lay around to the point where I thought he was kaput: on a rock, leaf, driftwood, the bottom, wherever! Totally motionless for a long time. But he was always just hanging out...

As far as live bloodworm, thats what they pretty much eat in the wild, so it's fine as long as he doesn't eat a whole bag again! I have heard of people claiming to have infestations of unwanted guests from feeding live foods that they did not prepare themselves, though...

Hey Bigmac,
I used to have a male betta, for almost 2 years, he was doing fine toguether with my other fish ( 15 zebra danios, 2 crorys ), one day I bought some frozen bloodworms so that my fish could have some variant in their diet. They all loved it, including my betta, but after that, the betta started to grow a bump on his right side and stopped been soo active, it hidded for most of the time in his little cave, come out only to take a beath of air, and down to the cave...his last few weeks he simply hang around the edge of the water close to the filter water intake because he couldn;t make it down to his cave. I have never again feeded frozen bloodworms to my fish, althought my zebras didn't seem to have had any problems with it.
Try some peas to maybe helping released any poo stuck in///....
good luck.

sadly he was dead when i got home from work this evening.
the bloating that he experienced was probably just over eating as it subsided daily. after 3 days he was back to his normal shape.
i've only had him for about 6 months, he wasn't even fully grown, he still had a fair bit to go.

alsa poor red rudolph, my favourite fish.

Back
Top Bottom