Betta and Neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
As you may already know I have a 10 gallon tank. I have decided to take the divider out and go with only one male betta. Will neon tetras get along with the betta? I will have about 5 neon tetras and lots of plants and hiding spots. By the way, sorry if this question has already been asked, the search thing isn't working and I couldn't find anything about this.

They should go fine together. YouTube - betta and neon tetra take a look at all those tanks, sounds exciting! Be careful with neons though because they have been getting progressively weaker. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but make sure they are healthy when you buy them. If you have a 10-gallon you could also add a couple ghost shrimps or a mystery snail. Good luck and post pics when you get them! =D

Thanks tanker. no discouragement taken. I know what you mean about them getting weaker so I will be very careful when choosing them. I will have pictures up in about a week of what the tank looks like now. I'll start a journal with tons of pictures about it. Thanks for the link to the video

P.S. Zebra Danios will also work. I have had mine for some weeks now and they are thriving.

The Neons i just bought are small but seem hardy. The only issue i had with them when i bought them was there were a good dozen dead ones in the tank with them.. But how do you tell your kid no, we can get them when he stood there in front of the tank staring at them for the whole hour i was there :)

They are being watched very closely, but are shoaling very well, and eating very well..

I wouldnt trust a male betta with any other fish, but thats just me. I have a 10 gal with a female betta and 6 tetras and they do just fine.

The Neons i just bought are small but seem hardy. The only issue i had with them when i bought them was there were a good dozen dead ones in the tank with them.. But how do you tell your kid no, we can get them when he stood there in front of the tank staring at them for the whole hour i was there :)

You would think with fish stores, their first priority would be removing any dead fish from the tanks. I understand of course, fish do die from time to time, for various reasons. But it creates a bad impression when you see dead fish in a tank.

Yet, most of the time when I go into a branch of Pets at Home (some are much better than others in this respect). There are at least a couple of tanks with dead fish in them, some which look like they've been there for a good while.

Well since i have bought them, two of them have died. But all of the other fish in the tank are doing very well. I did not expect all of the neons to live though, considering they seemed to have been dropping like flies at the pet store

Male bettas make a great addition to a community tank as long as you don't have fin nippers or fish with long, flowy fins that might get mistaken for another betta.

My wife has a betta in a 5g hex with a couple neons and she has a crowntail betta in my 29g community. The betta in the 5g will chase the neons, but he's too slow to catch them. The crowntail in the 29g is funny. He sleeps on the sand under an amazon sword leaf. We just bought him a girlfriend Saturday and he was showing off as soon as she was in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom