Betta Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to set aside my bio-tope for awhile and work on a much smaller set-up. I want to keep a betta and some african dwarf frogs in a un-heated two gallon tank. Does anyone have any idea of filtration, but not air powered filter because my mom thinks they are too noisy. And I will put some pothos and bamboo plants hanging out of the top. Thanks for ur time!

well, since my new room is still under construction...and will be for a long time, I have limited space to put stuff...mostly in boxes and you can't keep fish in a box, and also my mom doesn't want another tank if I am already getting a 55 gallon tank for my Amazon bio-tope and the two gallon tank I already have I can use since I don't have to buy it. But if the set-up is not good for the fish and/or frogs, then I have no will to construct the tank. Well, I don't really want the frogs anymore. Thanks for ur time!

2 gallons is ok for a betta fish, IMO. More is preferred, but 2 gallons is fine. I'd stop there though, and not worry about the frogs.

Penn-Plax makes a 'Small World' filter for 2 gallons or less of water, that filters through floss and carbon, but it's run by an air pump. I'd give it a try. Most air pumps nowadays aren't the old blaringly loud things that they used to be. If you honestly can't stand it, then don't use it..the filter is about $10. Even with the filter though, you'd still need to change the water every few days, to keep quality good. Things can go wrong easily in a tank that small. Just my two cents. HTH. :)

I agree that you should forget the frogs if you must get the betta now. How long would it be before construction is done? Could you wait and get a larger tank (5 or 10 gallon) and then you could keep your betta, frogs, and perhaps something else in there? Bettas really need a heater and research has shown their lifespan significally decreases when they don't have one. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

research isnt always right, my friend kept a betta in 2 gallon tank without heat and it survive for 6 years!! thats a long time for a betta. i have mine in an eclipse 2 gallon without heat and i have had it for over a year now. bettas really dont like to large of a space. i put mine in a 10 gallon so it would have more room and it was freaking out. they look for smaller places to hide. bettas are not hard to raise, they need almost no special care beside water changes and good food. i feed mine the hikari pellets and frozen blood worms every once in a while. he eats 6 pellets a day mininum and they are only supposed to eat 2 a day. but if you are working with a 2 gallon getting that filter that devilishturtle suggested will be more than enough for the betta. the bamboo is also a good idea, great thinking

Just because bettas can breathe air does not mean they don't want alot of space. 2 gal IMO is too small for any fish. I would keep a betta in at least a 10 gal, but that is JMO.

mr funktastic said:
research isnt always right, my friend kept a betta in 2 gallon tank without heat and it survive for 6 years!!

Surviving isn't thriving. When the temp drops to 75 degrees, a betta will become lethargic. I keep 1 male in a 10 gal planted, hob and heater @ 80 degrees. Willy is one happy fish in his "big" tank.

Personally, I don't believe in the 1 & 2 gal and bowls for bettas.

Thx,

Dave

mr funktastic, there are always exceptions to the rule. Just because ONE betta survived against the odds does not mean ALL bettas will do the same. I would trust the findings or research that looked at MANY cases rather than a statement based off ONE case.

To me its like putting person into a 13x9' room for the rest of their life and giving them food every day. The person will survive, but they will not like it. I've kept a betta in a 55 gal for many years and it did not "freak out". Please think about what your saying before you speak or else you may give someone bad advice.

they need almost no special care beside water changes and good food.

Its really sad you feel this way. I love my fish and I try to give them as much "special care" as possible. True it is JUST a fish, but I want to provide as clean, happy, and healthy environment as possible. My betta has a ten gallon tank all to him self. He never hides, and his bubble nests are huge.

azn_fishy55, if you do keep your betta in the 2 gallon, at the very least, do look into getting him a heater. He will thank you for it :D

Just a footnote to what Meredith said..
Yes, they are just fish, but people like us take them from their natural environment for our pleasure. Along with this pleasure comes a responsibility to give them the very best water conditions and space/environment we can.

Dave

a mini eclipse ... you can get it at petco for about 9 $.. I two would not add frogs ( i was told 2.5 gallons per frog), size a h2o quality issues

IMO, all this discussion on living space and comfort for fishes is based from a human perspective, and therefore, baseless from the perspective of a fish. as long as we can't communicate with fish, there'll be no fixed method of determining their happiness. after all, a glass box with clean water and a fixed temperature is a highly regulated and unjust representation of a natural habitat for a fish.

for one, the betta is genetically not suited to live in large volumes of water. i don't know how much truth exists in the paddy-field stories concerning a betta, but i believe any fish that has developed a labyrinth organ has done so because oxygen rich habitats are not a luxury to them. and having developed that organ, they have to come up to the surface from time to time to get oxygen. so the volume increase from 2g to 10g does little to further this cause.
also, personally, i don't know how comforting it is to live at a constant temperature all the year round. as long as the volume of water is large enough, the betta would be living at a temperature close to room temperature, which is quite comfortable.
and last, but not the least, the fish gets a constant food source, hard to come by in nature. this is the greatest luxury of them all!

again, the view varies from person to person as to what constitutes a healthy environment for their pet, and how much they are willing to sacrifice to provide those needs. but if someone falls short of one of these pre-determined parameters (namely space), they should be able the enjoy the hobby as much as anyone else with suitable types of fish.

I could consider a filter but how does this penn-plax filter work? Also has anyone used it before...because I want to know if it is very noisy. Another filter I am considering is the Whisper 10i. While grocery shopping with my mom at Wal-Mart I spotted it and it is about 10$. I thought it should be good for the tank, considering it is the same price of the small world filter. I also found a Sm. heater for small tanks like mine I am going to plan. It is by a company named "Jungle". Is this type of heater ok. Thanks for ur time!

I added a betta to a 1-gallon w/out a heater and I would say he's far from lethargic. My tank has been at around 70deg f and he swims around, was even blowing a bubble nest one day. He is very responsive to my movements next to him also (the tank sits on my desk).

I think we can make generalizations for fish, but in reality, these creatures have a will to survive and if you can provide the basics for them to stay alive ... they will.

anyways, I think you guys are all missing the point. We'd all love to have lots of big tanks for our fish, but reality is space, money and opportunity limit us. In his case, he has little space and a 2 gallon tank available to him ... he would like to keep some fish/frogs.

I think our concerns are valid about size/filtration/heating, but my guess is he's more interested in what he can do with what he has available to him. We've all lost fish for various reasons, the best he can do is try and learn and hopefully keep his fish/frogs happy and healthy.

So, my opinion is give the betta a try (i have no clue about frogs, so I won't venture any opnion on them).

Back
Top Bottom