Betta Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ordering from the internet is not really my thing. my mom thinks it is unsafe. But I could invest for one of those really expensive desktop aquariums that come with this mini-filter and I think a light too. well I leave my tank desision to you guys/girls. The options are using an old two gallon tank with a filter and a heater(having to buy them first). Or those mini desktop cube aquariums that are really over priced. and from ur guyses desicion on the tank I will make my own...if I should get a betta or not(P.S: I don't want the frogs anymore)Thanks for ur time :D

So I guess I'll stick with the two gallon tank. Tomorrow I will buy the Whisper 10i filter and the mini-heater, water dechlorinator, biological start up, thermometer, and some plants and gravel.

Make sure that filter is adjustable. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's made for a 2 to 10 gallon aquarium. It's also going to take up alot of room in your tank, so keep that in mind. You need to turn the flow probably all the way down on it for it to be ideal for your betta fish. Just some extra info.

Ok here is the plan:
1. Whinsper Power Internal Filter 10i
2. Jungle Mini Heater
3. Tetra Aqua Safe
4. Tetra Easy Balance
5. Stress Coat
6. Gravel
7. Bamboo Stalks
8. Thermometer
9. Pothos plants

marinelands bio-spera.. and the Stability product are the only ones that seem to have been used with much success.. so I wouldnt put my money down for anything else if I were you.. :mrgreen:

Bio-Spera is very expensive for a little pouch it is like 15$! That is more expensive than the filter. Not to insult you or anything but I think it is a bit too pricey. And for the Stability...I have never seen it at my specialty fish store before. Thanks anyways greenmagi^_^

those tanks are so small, you shouldn't even have algae. If you do, then you need to be cleaning more often.

azn_fishy55 said:
ordering from the internet is not really my thing. my mom thinks it is unsafe. But I could invest for one of those really expensive desktop aquariums that come with this mini-filter and I think a light too. well I leave my tank desision to you guys/girls. The options are using an old two gallon tank with a filter and a heater(having to buy them first). Or those mini desktop cube aquariums that are really over priced. and from ur guyses desicion on the tank I will make my own...if I should get a betta or not(P.S: I don't want the frogs anymore)Thanks for ur time :D

You can get an eclipse 5 gallon for about $50 at Petco or Petsmart, that can't be much more than your setup and its 2.5x larger. You would still need a heater, but the lighting and filtration would be taken care of, and they look really clean and neat too.

Do you think I can add one otocinculus for algae control after about a month?

No, I wouldn't bother. Like Rubysoho said, you probably won't even see algae in your tank. You should be changing the water and cleaning it too often for algae to grow. The otocinculus are best kept in groups anyhow. 1 would not thrive in your tank at all. HTH. 8)

Tony Starks said:
You can get an eclipse 5 gallon for about $50 at Petco or Petsmart, that can't be much more than your setup and its 2.5x larger. You would still need a heater, but the lighting and filtration would be taken care of, and they look really clean and neat too.

why would he want to spend $50 when he already has a tank?

jibboo said:
Tony Starks said:

why would he want to spend $50 when he already has a tank?

Because his tank is only 2g, and he still needs to buy lighting and a filter for it. Besides the fact that a 2g tank is VERY limiting on which fish to get, its also not going to be much cheaper, if at all.

well i already have lightning for and I am buying the filter for it today. I am not really willing to get other fish than a betta untill my room is done and I can get my 55 gallon tank for my amazon bio-tope. But I appreciate your suggestion^_^

I also think a Whisper 10i would be too big for the 2 gallon tank. I have a 2 gallon Mini-Bow as a QT tank, and it came with a Whisper mini, and I do have the mini turned all the way down to the minimum water flow. See if you can get a Whisper mini or an Azoo palm filter. I've seen the Azoo filters online, but you could look in an lfs for one. Otherwise, go with a sponge filter, small airpump (my Tetratec is hardly noticable, sound-wise) and a gang valve to reduce the airflow and current. I'm just afraid that you'll get the Whisper 10i unpacked and see that it's too big, in both size and flowrate, for the 2 gallon tank.

The mini heater is an excellent idea. I have one for my QT and it works well.

I agree with the others about the otos. You should NOT consider them for a 2 gallon tank. They need to be in groups, and a group of them plus the betta would be too much for 2 gallons. Otos can move pretty fast, and in a limited amount of space, they wouldn't have enough room, and they may also stress the betta.

IMO, all this discussion on living space and comfort for fishes is based from a human perspective, and therefore, baseless from the perspective of a fish. as long as we can't communicate with fish, there'll be no fixed method of determining their happiness.

Yes, but you can't assume an oscar is happy in a 10 gal tank, or a betta is happy in a little plastic cup just because they "we can't talk with them". Every animal needs a decent amount of space and people should try and replicate the environment as much as possible JMO.

Yeah, maybe whisper mini would be a good idea but whisper 10i is my second choice. Well if Wal-Mart has the Whisper mini I could get it but if they don't I can't so it depends if they have ir in stock.Thanks!!^_^

Back
Top Bottom