Betta Breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cloud Chalk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Im hoping someone can give me a basic guide to breeding bettas?

Ive watched some videos on youtube but they make it seem too easy so was hoping to get some proper advice before trying it out. I have a spare tank at the moment, a heater and a sponge filter. The tank is currently empty. I have a tank with 2 female bettas and a seperate tank with one boy.

So I need to know about tank set up, how you know when they are ready to breed are there any signs? Any advice will be really helpful thank you :)

okay, put one of your females in with the male, if they start fighting, straight away put the net in the tank and scoop her out, if not, just leave them for a bit, keep an eye on the male, if he is putting bubbles to the top of the tank, you have successfully let them mate, if not , just leave it a bit, do not make any changes to the water, they are settled in, and it is best to leave them to it. as soon as you see a bubble nest, remove her from his tank, and put her back in the female tank. put the fry in a breeder trap as soon as you see them, or even better, put the eggs in the breeder trap, or the male may get aggressive or eat them. I hope this has helped you

your going to need the proper equipment before you can start. multiple 10 gallon grow out tanks with sponge filters and heaters. and lots of containers for the males when they become too aggressive

I would get a tank divider, put the females in one half and the male in the other, and if you are determined to breed a fish, start with a livebearer, it doesn't have to be boring, you can cross breed for hybrids and go along like that, because breeding beta's are very time and money consuming. maybe if you want to breed egg layers, breed danio, minnows, Angel fish, or maybe barbs

Breeding Bettas is pretty easy. You need a tank devider. So the male and female can see each other. the male will build a bubblenest then he is ready. Females need to be prepped with good food weeks befor ones she is fat she is ready put them in the same tank with the devider in. the male will build a bubblenest. then you can let them go at it. The male will rap him self around the female taking eggs one at a time and place the egg in the nest. After the male is done remove the female.
Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your help, I dont think betta breeding is for me afterall.. I dont think I could choose which ones deserved to live and die, Id want to keep them all :p

You mentioned live bearers.. which breeds of fish would you say are the easiest to breed and keep?

Thanks again :)

Thanks everyone for your help, I dont think betta breeding is for me afterall.. I dont think I could choose which ones deserved to live and die, Id want to keep them all :p

You mentioned live bearers.. which breeds of fish would you say are the easiest to breed and keep?

Thanks again :)

You could try plays and/or swordtails

Back
Top Bottom