Betta breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is something I would love to try but it's very risky. I don't want to hurt the male or female so I need to be educated. I've done quite a bit of research on this but sadly it don't think I'm quite ready. I watched several videos and read countless articles but It seems like there's a whole lot if room for error. I need some tips so I thought I'd post a few questions that I have. #1 can a pair be bred more than once? #2 how can I safely breed a pair with minimal damage? #3 how long can the fry be together? #4 how old is too old to be bred? #5 what is the best divider material? The only reason I'm considering breeding bettas is because I have had bettas before and I know how easy to keep they are. Care tips are great but I know a lot about that already and I'm more interested in the tips you have for breeding. FIY if I go through with this it will be done in a 10 gal with a divider so that I can have both fish in the same tank.

NatureFish
????

For starters, there is no way to ensure that the fish you breed will continue to have beautiful finnage or be "top notch" looking fish anymore. That's the risk you take by breeding them. If your desire is to keep the fish looking great, don;t breed them. If you want to pass their genes along so that you can create more that may have that look, you than can chose the pairs carefully to attain this.

Okay, to your questions:
#1- yes, you can breed a certain pair multiple times ( if the pair accepted each other the first time.) You will need to wait until both fish have been reconditioned before spawning them again however.
#2- you can't. As I mentioned, there is no way to guarantee a spawn and minimal damage. Thankfully, the fish is designed for a lot of punishment but the fins don;t always grow back in the same condition, foundation and coloring. That's the chances you take.

#3-The fry can be together for a long time however, at approx 5 months, when the males start getting sexually mature, they may start beating up on their brothers which makes it not advisable to wait that long. Also, Bettas have a hormone they can emit that causes their siblings to be growth stunted so it is important when raising the spawns that you do multiple water changes weekly to prevent any amount of this hormone from building up in the tank and stunting the fish. The good news is that if this does happen, by isolating the stunted fish in a different bowl or tank with clean water, they will start to grow again ( at least that's what I have found over the years.)

#4- I've bred males that were about 4-5 years old so as long as they are willing and able to blow a nest, they can be bred.

#5- I suggest you not try to do more than one pair in a tank at a time* so a divider is not necessary. What I do/did was to put the gravid female in a clear glass jar in the male's tank until she showed that she was ready to spawn. Once I saw her breeding colors, I would let her go in with the male. I do put some PVC pieces in the breeding tank so that if the male is not ready for her to be there, she has places to hide from the male while he prepares for spawning. As for keeping the 2 fish in the same tank post spawning, it usually doesn't work out. The male cares for the eggs and fry so the female is usually banished from the nest post spawn. If she doesn't get out of sight, males are known to kill their mates so that's not a good thing. Dividers will never be "air tight" so the fry will be able to go from side to side which is an invitation for the females to eat them so that's another no go. You are best to keep a tank or bowl for your females and your males so that the spawning tank is for initial fry raising only. Also, you can have a few hundred babies from one spawn so a 10 gal tank is not nearly large enough to grow out the fry. It's not due to the gallonage, it's the floor space. You need space for the fry to grow. I usually breed the fish in small shoe boxes or tanks or bowls or whatever and transfer the fry to long, wide flats or tanks to grow. If you only have the one tank, I suggest this is not a good setup for doing this ATM.

*- I put this here because it is possible for a male to do multiple simultaneous spawning with 2 or 3 females but in order for this to happen, you need a large tank with multiple areas for the fish to interact separately from each other. I also believe the hatch ratio goes down with multiple simultaneous spawnings but I can't locate the article this info came from so it may not be accurate in all cases.

You can see some of my breeding setups in the albums section of my profile. You will also see pics of a female in "color" as well as a pic of the flats I used to grow out the fish. If you still have questions, shoot me a PM or ask on this thread. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

I only have that one tank...I wish I had more room! Can I take some of the fry and put them in the ten gallon and then put the rest of the fry in jars and bowls? If not I may decide against this. I wish I could hand breed them like koi and goldfish!

NatureFish
????

I only have that one tank...I wish I had more room! Can I take some of the fry and put them in the ten gallon and then put the rest of the fry in jars and bowls? If not I may decide against this. I wish I could hand breed them like koi and goldfish!

NatureFish
????

You can always try it however, the fry are going to be tiny at first so the 10 will suffice for a little while but in reality, over the long run, this will take more jars and bowls than you probably have room for if you only have room for the one 10 gal tank. In my albums ( just some of my bettas), the last 2 pics are just 2 of the 4 shelves I filled, double wide, with babies from one spawn. There is also the possibility that you will have almost complete spawns of males so you will need a lot of jars. There's just no way of telling the outcome.
I'm not trying to discourage you because breeding Bettas is a unique situation but if you are squeamish about killing fry, this is not a good setup for doing this. They are not like Goldfish or Koi. They are not even like other Gouramis. It just takes some space.

Just an FYI: about 2 years ago, we had a freeze in central FL and I needed to bring inside all my bettas. At that point, I counted over 100 jars I had to make room for in my little house. That was the last year I bred bettas. Just sayin' :whistle:

Ok so I don't think I can breed bettas. I just sent a PM to a breeder and they are going to give me a ton of advice and I'm going to have to say never mind! ?

NatureFish
????

What could I breed in ten gallon?
Besides little guppies and danios etc.?

NatureFish
????

I've done Rams, Kribs, Tetras and Barbs in 10 gals but the growing out is the issue. The big thing is what do you intend to do with the fry once you have them? That may determine what you should breed.

I'm a beginner so keep that in mind when suggesting certain fish!

NatureFish
????

What I suggest then is to go to your LFS and ask them what they would be willing to buy from you that you can breed in a 10 gal tank. You may find that Guppies or Danios may be what they are looking for ( especially some of the newer types) so it will all work out. Keep in mind tho, breeding fish on any scale requires more than one tank. It's just not practical in one tank as many fish, especially egg laying fish, produce many young which need room to grow.

Good luck and keep us posted (y)

Update: parents surprised me with a 29 gallon but I really was hoping to put ryukin goldfish in it! I guess I could breed goldfish and put the fry in the ten gallon until they get too big for the parents to suck them up.

NatureFish
????

You're not going to be able to keep ryukin goldfish in a 29 gallon. They get to be 8 inches in length and would quickly outgrow the tank.

As far as breeding is concerned, it is probably out of the question for you. Having space and financial constraints really limits what you can do. Also, as a beginner, it is probably best that you just stick with keeping and enjoying fish that are appropriate for the tanks you have.

If you really want to breed something, as I've suggested before you could set up your 10 gallon with red cherry shrimp. Those breed easily, and you could sell some to the LFS or to members of this forum. Are you squeamish about culling some of the young shrimp? If not, you could start off with some high quality shrimp and breed them, keep the high quality offspring, and cull the lower quality shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update: parents surprised me with a 29 gallon but I really was hoping to put ryukin goldfish in it! I guess I could breed goldfish and put the fry in the ten gallon until they get too big for the parents to suck them up.

NatureFish
????

Here is why you can't keep Goldie's like ryukins in a 29-
This is a pic by jlk, a typical box store goldfish, young, next to a three year old female.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412710668.657603.jpg
It's a eight gallon horse bucket. And the smaller fish is golf ball sized

I've seen that thread before. I was only planning on keeping two in there. I used I have a few in an outdoor pond until...a stray cat got hungry...

NatureFish
????

You're not going to be able to keep ryukin goldfish in a 29 gallon. They get to be 8 inches in length and would quickly outgrow the tank.

As far as breeding is concerned, it is probably out of the question for you. Having space and financial constraints really limits what you can do. Also, as a beginner, it is probably best that you just stick with keeping and enjoying fish that are appropriate for the tanks you have.

If you really want to breed something, as I've suggested before you could set up your 10 gallon with red cherry shrimp. Those breed easily, and you could sell some to the LFS or to members of this forum. Are you squeamish about culling some of the young shrimp? If not, you could start off with some high quality shrimp and breed them, keep the high quality offspring, and cull the lower quality shrimp.

I'm not squeamish but I'd feel bad if I ever killed anything. I would instead give away any of the lower quality shrimp. They don't live for very long though.

NatureFish
????

I suppose I could breed cherry shrimp but aren't they sensitive? What's the hardest fish/invertebrate to kill in the hobby. Something cold water preferably.

NatureFish
????

1) Buy a male betta.
2) Put him in a tank or if you have only one tank, then try to put a tank divider so that the male doesn't mix with the females.
3) Maintain good water conditions and feed him meaty foods to make him colourful and more willing to build a bubble nest.
4) Buy a few females and put them in a separate tank or the other side of the tank divider.
5) Feed the females meaty foods too until they are plump.
6) Once the females are fat and the male has built the bubblenest, put the females in a small container and show them to the male. Whichever the male shows the most attention to is the one he wants to have set with.
7) Give the other females back to the store or keep them if you want but put his favourite female into his tank. Then wait...
8) If they don't spawn, repeat these instructions. If they do spawn, remove the female once they stop spawning otherwise the male will attack her and put her back into the tank.
9) Remove the male once the fry are free-swimming and put the male into another small area in the tank then you can do whatever you want to them in the future.

1) Buy a male betta.
2) Put him in a tank or if you have only one tank, then try to put a tank divider so that the male doesn't mix with the females.
3) Maintain good water conditions and feed him meaty foods to make him colourful and more willing to build a bubble nest.
4) Buy a few females and put them in a separate tank or the other side of the tank divider.
5) Feed the females meaty foods too until they are plump.
6) Once the females are fat and the male has built the bubblenest, put the females in a small container and show them to the male. Whichever the male shows the most attention to is the one he wants to have set with.
7) Give the other females back to the store or keep them if you want but put his favourite female into his tank. Then wait...
8) If they don't spawn, repeat these instructions. If they do spawn, remove the female once they stop spawning otherwise the male will attack her and put her back into the tank.
9) Remove the male once the fry are free-swimming and put the male into another small area in the tank then you can do whatever you want to them in the future.

That's what I was going to do but many people here disagree so I'm thinking it may not be the best idea...

NatureFish
????

That's what I was going to do but many people here disagree so I'm thinking it may not be the best idea...

NatureFish
????
Just to reiterate:
The breeding procedure is on target but the after care is where we all believe you are going to run into trouble. I breed in shoe boxes ( about 1 gal of water) so the 10 gal is fine but I grow out in large aquariums because we are dealing with hundreds of fry. You said you don;t have that capacity which is why it's a bad idea :nono:

Back
Top Bottom