Betta Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaiserFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I keep two bettas in one tank with a divider splitting them off. One is definitely a male. And the other, I -thought- was a male, and definitely appears to be a crowntail male... and here comes the "but..."

But the male that I'm sure of, has been building bubble nests like crazy. Will male Betta Splendens make bubble nests just for the fun of it, or only in the presence of a female?

The male (that I'm sure of) jumped over the divider the other day, and flared at the other betta, but didn't attack it. Since re-seperating them, the male has been building the bubble nests.

Do I have a sexually confused betta? :p

The easiest way to sex is the egg spot. If there is a white spot near the anal fin, it is a female. Try a gis if you need some examples.

Now be a good lad and pop over to Pisces and pick up one of those nice, inexpensive ($6, I believe) female crowntails they got in about a week ago.

I placed a few plants in the bowl at time of purchase and they have grown breaking the surface and flop back onto the surface of the water. Every leaf ends up with a bubble nest built.

I currently have 16 males, and all build bubblenests just for the heck of it....which is nice, as it is easy to see that they will be ready for one of my females (I currently have 12 females, but plan on 14 more).

that is ALOT of maintanence. mum has a betta in an unfiltered half gallon tank and changes it every 3 days.

Actually, not so bad....a lot less than doing 30% water changes on two 275G, four 90G, and four 75G once a week (and those are just the big guys).

Rudy_627 said:
i know tortis told me he has MANY TANKS i believe it was 65?

Somewhere in that neighbourhood....thank the gods that a good many of them are 15G and smaller.....even with that huge number, I am still running only about 2400G total, so an average of about 36G/tank....I couldn't do it if I was averaging 50G+/tank.

More the 'fish masochist'...some days doing maintenance is a chore and then some....I love way too many fish, but may need to cut back some for sheer practicality.

hey tortis i always wanted to know this

whats your avvy mean? i keep thinking its a lizard or a piece of driftwood, i just cant figure it out

Somewhere in that neighbourhood....thank the gods that a good many of them are 15G and smaller.....even with that huge number, I am still running only about 2400G total, so an average of about 36G/tank....I couldn't do it if I was averaging 50G+/tank.

Notice that his signature does not include:

Counselor, MTS Group Therapy :D :eek: :lol:

edit: oh, and it looks like a snake avatar to me?

Ah, you are on the right track Rach!
Its a tortoise ! I can see the head and flipper now. At first I thought it was a coiled snake. Just don't ask me the difference between a turtle and a tortoise!
(?tortoise live only on land?)

You are all very incorrect....my avatar is the head of a juvenile Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri showing the external gill structures that are typical to young Polypteridae. But to be fair, it does look fairly reptilian.

Attachments

• darik11.jpeg
    darik11.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 474
Back
Top Bottom