Betta Community Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryFan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have kept individual male betta in community tanks.

I have three females in my 30 now.

Let's share thoughts and experiences. :)

My males were in 29 gallon tanks with cories, a peaceful albino shark, and small finned female guppies.

My females are in a 30 with 2 platy (headed out) and cories, both habrosus and trilleanatus.

I have always found that once the male adjusted to the larger space (he was always added last), he would not always allow new additions.

I also found it challenging to create a pleasing aquascape that was fin safe...until I learned how to grow plants.

My females I just started with. I lost two right away. One was clearly killed. The other seemed random - a poor buy. Once the other three adjusted to each other, I added them to my 30.

I read that each female wants five gallons so I am hoping the extra space will help.

I had a female in a 55G along with a few bottom dwellers.

I added another female. One was dead the next day.

My betta male has been moved around a lot, he lives peacefully with snails and with albino Cory's, he once lived peacefully with a dwarf gaurami for a couple months in a 10g one day the dg was dead but i think that was my lack of knowledge on water conditions at the time. Right now he's getting a med treatment in a tank with a few guppies and Cory's that seemed ill so far he seems fine with them I'm hoping not to have them housed together long though.

I also kept the half moon male in my profile pictures alone. They really seem to enjoy watching activity outside the tank. Music seems to draw responses as well.

If my females don't seem relaxed and happy I will change their housing. I think it is helping that they are so tiny.

Same here; my male betta has been with several groups. He was really content in my 55 gallon community tank until the rotten little Burmese Loach stole his floating log (I swear the loach got a kick out of it). He lived alone in a 5.5 but seemed bored. Now he's in with pygmy cories and really seems to enjoy them. He follows them and noses them. My son's betta, Jerkface has to live alone because he's, well, a jerkface. Just ask Gorgeous George, the guppy with no tail.

I have a 10g that I have 4 platy fry in that I would eventually like to put a betta (or two if that would work) in. Just waiting for my fry to grow some more before putting them in my 30g.

I have a 10g that I have 4 platy fry in that I would eventually like to put a betta (or two if that would work) in. Just waiting for my fry to grow some more before putting them in my 30g.

Well, in my research for the females it said to break up line of sight and have a nice amount of plant cover. I think that really helps them relax. A ten for two intimidates me but I think your best chance would be very young females.

Back
Top Bottom