Betta dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short. Bulb went in my betta tank and they were difficult to source since the manufacturer decided to upgrade the tank to come with LEDs so the shop slowed on stocking the 9W bulb. Bought a couple of cheaper bulbs from another store but the fixture didn't start any of them. Tried more bulbs from work same rating but nothing. I've put a higher rated bulb in for now which is a general lighting bulb. I'm guessing the manufacturers bulb is unique to the tank and you have to purchase theirs. It's an aquanano 40 by aquaone.

Anyway my betta got used to just natural light and every time I switch the bulb on he now flares at his reflection (which he never used to)

I'm trying to get him used to the light again but it's distressing watching him charge in all directions obviously in a state of stress.

I just put some hygro stems in there so could do with the light but if he doesn't sort himself out I'll have to leave the bulb off.

What would you do? Do you think he will get used to having light again?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think he will, but try to slowly bring up the lighting levels. You could get a sheet of plastic and mist it with some paint or use a screen to reduce the light and increase the lighting levels weekly or as he gets used to it. You can use binder separators and mist them with some spray paint and poke medium size holes in it with a pencil or the like to allow air circulation. Mist multiple sheets at different levels, some more misted than others, then slowly increase lighting.

Sorry for rambling. Hope I helped!

I think he will, but try to slowly bring up the lighting levels. You could get a sheet of plastic and mist it with some paint or use a screen to reduce the light and increase the lighting levels weekly or as he gets used to it. You can use binder separators and mist them with some spray paint and poke medium size holes in it with a pencil or the like to allow air circulation. Mist multiple sheets at different levels, some more misted than others, then slowly increase lighting.

Sorry for rambling. Hope I helped!

This is a great idea! Thanks I'll certainly give it a try :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alrighty. Tell me how it goes! I am glad I could help.

That being said, Man U or Man City? :p

Back
Top Bottom