Betta eating Guppie tailfin - Can I move guppie into a tank with these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoolHand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I put a male guppie in with my son's Betta as he really wanted another fish. Trouble is after a week I've noticed about a third of the guppies tail fin is missing. I am assuming the Betta is eating it. Should I leave the guppie in there or move him to my 30G tank? My other tank has 8 Pearl Danios, an Angel, and a weather loach. Will the fish in the tank bother the guppy? Will the guppy be ok by himself or if I move him should I get him a couple other male guppy friends?

Thanks

CH...

The only fish you might have trouble with is the angel, I think the loach is fine. I have kept angels and guppys together with no problems.

Thanks Guppylover. I found this chart "http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=21" and it seems that guppies and bettas should be able to stay together... guess my betta is aggressive. If I do move the guppy to the other tank will he be ok by himself or do they like to school? If so how many would you recommend?

CH...

I put a male guppie in with my son's Betta as he really wanted another fish. Trouble is after a week I've noticed about a third of the guppies tail fin is missing. I am assuming the Betta is eating it. Should I leave the guppie in there or move him to my 30G tank? My other tank has 8 Pearl Danios, an Angel, and a weather loach. Will the fish in the tank bother the guppy? Will the guppy be ok by himself or if I move him should I get him a couple other male guppy friends?

Thanks

CH...

What size is the tank? If it's just a 5 gal the betta should have no tankmates.

Bettas, in general, should not be kept with other slow moving fish with flowing fins like fancy guppies. They remind them too much of another betta and fighting is likely.

I would add the guppy to the 30 gal. There's a chance it would get eaten by a full grown angel, but it's still a better pairing than with the betta.

Guppies are social fish and should be stocked in groups of atleast 3 so I would get him a couple buddies.

What size tank is the betta/guppy is? Bettas and fancy guppies are not recommend as good tankmates typically like siva said. It does make your betta especially aggressive. I agree that the angel has a chance of eating the guppy if you put him in there. If he is alone, IME, he will be fine. If you are able to get a 10g for the guppy and a few friends though, that would be good. :)

HAHA - Well I added the guppy to the 30g last night and the Danios swarmed him for a few minutes - I think they were curious more then anything... well the guppy went to the bottom and kind of hid under some decor... well I left him there and came back 10 minutes later and I couldn't find him. 10hours later I still can't find him... I hope he didn't go and die in one of the little tree root things I have in there.. or perhaps something ate him? Argh... if I can't find him tonight should I start removing the decor with little caves to try and find him? Poor guppy....

Thanks

CH...

I know this is a bit obvious but did you acclimatize your guppy when you moved it?

Yes, I scooped some water from the 30g in a container and put some water in a bag from the 5 gallon.. put the bag in the container and floated him in that for 20 minutes then let some water in the bag and floated that for another 20 minutes then I netted him and put him in.. If I can't find him tonight should I start dismantling the decor to try to find him in case he is dead somewhere?

CH...

Since he was in a very weakened state, it's possible he became lunch. :(

You'll just have to explain to your son how the betta is so special, he really deserves the tank to himself. After all, with your son as the betta's friend, how could that fish need more friends? ;)

Back
Top Bottom