Betta fever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright.. So on my annual trip to wal-mart i went over to the fish section looking for an algae scrubber...
And there.. with his big.. adorable eyes.. was johnny.. the blue and red betta fish.. Looking ever so sad in that little cup...
So.. I struck a deal with my mom.. She lets me get the betta and a small little one gallon tank.. the rest.. of my fifty dollars from my grandfather will be put towards shorts..

SO! Now i have Mr.betta and a nice pair of shorts.... Comfy too.
Anyways.. I have noticed some minor finrot on his tail..
So im wondering if it would be better to put him in the already cycled tank.. and risk contamination.. or hope hell be okay in his little one gallon while-- if-- it cycles..
Course I could just prevent a cycle till it gets better?
Also Will it go away on its own?

Another thing.. Do you think it would be too much to keep two female bettas in a one gallon until i could get a larger tank or two different ones?
Sorry for how long it is.. Hehe

i think he should be fine in a 1 gallon, but everyone has a diff. opinion, and i was wondering the same thing about the two females in a one gallon....if its possible....let me know too please :D

If it is at all possible to get a bigger tank for your fish, do it.
Bettas can live in those tiny cups, but its not good for them.
You could put two bettas in a gallon of water, and they will probably be fine, but they would be so much happier in something bigger. Not to mention with more water, your parameters are going to be more stable. If you happen to miss a water change one day, its not going to have as much of an effect on your fish in a ten gallon, as opposed to one. With two fish in a gallon of water, you are only giving a half gallon each to live, breath, and poop in.

I realize this, its just i want to go back and get another one gallon and try to help out the two females at wal-mart that have been in there forever.. ofcourse if they will become aggressive with eachother in such a small enclosure id rather they stay separated.. I do intend to get a bigger tank for the male i just bought, and the females I intend to buy soon...

(( And I love your new avatar picture.. Poor cat ))

They will definitely be better off with you than at walmart. At least you know you can give them clean water everyday and propper nutrition.
And I love your new avatar picture.. Poor cat

You can use some of the gravel from your established tank to "seed" the cycle in your one gallon. If you haven't already...sorry....I'll shut up now.

Back
Top Bottom