Betta fish changing color...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshSaltGirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
As the title states, this has occurred. Some background:
I picked up a male (marble?) betta at my lfs during the Boxing Day sale. He looked so forlorn in his little jar, I couldn't say no. Not even two months later, his coloration has changed. Is this due to growth/maturation?? I've never seen this before. I have pictures to prove it. The lighting is the same, I promise, thought the angle is different. As well as the colouring, his temperament has changed as well. Once skittish, twitchy, unsociable and camera shy, he has become more personable and approacable. He used to refuse blood worms, now he loves them. Anyway, here's the proof: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423387061.730360.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423387079.697874.jpg that's before and this is after: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423387107.708292.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423387136.580788.jpg

Nothing in the tank has changed, temp is always 78. Nitrites are 0, nitrates are 3ppm. PH is 7.4. I'm thinking it's just regular growth/maturation. Change in coloration and temperament are just some interesting things I've noted. I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks :)

He's just comfortable and no longer stressed...be happy, he looks fantastic.

My betta has slightly changed colors in his body since I first got him in early December. He was a pastel pink in the body and now is much lighter with more blue in his fins.

The Grizzle, Calico, Koi, (other multi speckled, splattered, mottled color types) and Marble Bettas will change color their whole life. It's just what happens. They are interesting.

Bettas will also change colors temporarily based on mood, water, quality/temp, and things like another male near his tank. My favorite Betta would change from periwinkle with yellowish edges, to silvery green with kinda peachish edges, then if he was mad he would get kinda emerald olive green. :)
He's in my avatar pic.

I noticed that there was a reflection in the glass. Could he have seen himself and just change to be more intimidating?

Sent from a pelipper

Thanks Michelle. :) and I love your pic AutumnSky. That's a very good point, Ruby, I'll try to get a picture of him again next week when I'm home.

Back
Top Bottom