Betta fish questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YandereCapybara

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just adopted my friend's betta to prevent it from getting flushed down the drain, and she's currently in a 20 gallon tank with no other tank mates.
However, the water is definitely at least three celsius too cold for her, and I'm unable to purchase a heater for her until tomorrow. She's been here for two days, and I know it's cruel to do this to her, but I didn't want her to die in someone's toilet :(

Anyways, will she be able to survive another day, or is there an alternative for me to keep her warm? Also, can I purchase other female bettas for her to befriend, or is that a bad idea?

I just adopted my friend's betta to prevent it from getting flushed down the drain, and she's currently in a 20 gallon tank with no other tank mates.
However, the water is definitely at least three celsius too cold for her, and I'm unable to purchase a heater for her until tomorrow. She's been here for two days, and I know it's cruel to do this to her, but I didn't want her to die in someone's toilet :(

Anyways, will she be able to survive another day, or is there an alternative for me to keep her warm? Also, can I purchase other female bettas for her to befriend, or is that a bad idea?
In colder environment she will be less active but will still be okay for a couple of days. If you decide to have more female bettas then you have to have at least 5 to disperse agression, i think at least. And you should rearange the tank so she will have to make new territory.

In colder environment she will be less active but will still be okay for a couple of days. If you decide to have more female bettas then you have to have at least 5 to disperse agression, i think at least. And you should rearange the tank so she will have to make new territory.

That's good to know!
However, I'm worried that five bettas in a 20 gallon tank might be a bit cramped... would another three be okay, or if I added a male?
Also, do you know if they get along with arowanas, and what finger nipping is supposed to signify? (I just fed her a pellet and she bit my finger a couple of times.)

I think if you only had 4 i would be okay, i wouldnt add a male the the mix. Not sure about the arowana part, wont they eat up smaller fish? And her biting you finger would show aggression so id definitely rearange the tank before you add new ones. Are you planning on adding an arowana to a 20g cause thats way to small they need like a couple hundred gallons i think.

I think if you only had 4 i would be okay, i wouldnt add a male the the mix. Not sure about the arowana part, wont they eat up smaller fish? And her biting you finger would show aggression so id definitely rearange the tank before you add new ones. Are you planning on adding an arowana to a 20g cause thats way to small they need like a couple hundred gallons i think.

We have a very large tank with three arowanas inside, and the three arowanas are pretty docile, and I doubt they'll be able to cram a betta into their mouths. There is absolutely at least 40g to spare for the bettas, but I'm more worried about the bettas attacking the poor arowanas. I also read somewhere that bettas end up recognizing you/familiarize themselves with their owner, how long does this process take, if it happens at all?

We have a very large tank with three arowanas inside, and the three arowanas are pretty docile, and I doubt they'll be able to cram a betta into their mouths. There is absolutely at least 40g to spare for the bettas, but I'm more worried about the bettas attacking the poor arowanas. I also read somewhere that bettas end up recognizing you/familiarize themselves with their owner, how long does this process take, if it happens at all?
I wish i had a tank big enough for arowanas :/ i still wouldn't trust the arowanas though and i dont think a betta could catch up to an arowana. A betta that ive had for a month gets kind of excited when i walk by, so around a mont or more.

And can you post a picture of the arowana tank, they are just beutiful fish arent they?

Yessir!
How do I take and post a picture on a Mac? (I'm horrible at technology)
(Or I can look for an old picture, although I dunno if I can find it)

http://ibb.co/ccEUoa

This is the best pic I can find ;-;
This was our old arowana, Lady's tank, which she shared with some other fish. (Before she died :() Sorry about my potato camera.
Her front snout (dunno what to call it) and whisker is the little grey smudge at the right, and my parents kept her in an indoor pond that you'd see in restaurants like Mandarin. The tank was pretty wide and long, and she was around 67cm ish, but she had a sweet temperament and never harmed any of her tank mates. (rough approximation)

Ok, one, you pretty much need to have at least five females in a sorority, otherwise things can get ugly.

Two, NO males period.

Three, arowanas need a min of 300g per arowana, and they will absolutely eat smaller fish. They even eat small mammals if given the chance. Her biting your finger isn't aggression, she knows your finger means food, she's hungry. My bettas years ago would jump out of the water to grab the pellets I'd stick to my fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Betta fish that was mislabeled was really a male, so it can happen. Tried having a sorority an didn't know why I kept finding dead fish. So any way let's just make sure it is a female if you do go with a group. When they are younger it's harder to tell, especially when you get babies, there are a few which can develop later than others.

Nice that you saved it. Often a female can be in a community tank of well planned other fish. Sometimes no, different personalities!

Back
Top Bottom