Betta gender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldmoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! We recently got “baby girl” bettas from our local pet store but I’m starting to doubt that two of them are actually females. The two in question have fins that are much longer, their ventral fins are longer/sharper than a normal females and I can see a ‘beard’ on both of them. Although they are still young, they are beginning to look like veil tail males.

They’re both in a 20 gallon community/sorority betta tank (the community part meaning some guppies and mollies) and they never flare at any of the fish, show aggression, etc.. The two bettas in question swim by each other, swim by other fish, etc. with no problems or aggressive behaviors.

The one I’m more concerned about is the yellow one as I had a suspicion from the beginning that it wasn’t a girl, but I’m getting more concerned about it now that it is showing more signs of being male. If they are in fact male but stay nonaggressive, will they both be okay to keep together with the females and the other fish in the 20 gallon? I don’t have any more tanks/ space for two male bettas. Sorry these pictures aren’t great, they move around a LOT in the tank and it’s hard to get a good picture. I appreciate everyone’s help in advance.

IMG_1912.JPG

The dark blue and red one in this picture, not the lighter blue one (ignore the algae).
IMG_1913.JPG

You're going to want to look for an "egg spot". It should be a little white spot near the belly.
I think I see one on the bottom fish on the bottom picture. But it will be easier for you to tell in person.
Both female and male bettas will flare their "beard" at stuff. The egg spot is pretty much the best way to tell.

You're going to want to look for an "egg spot". It should be a little white spot near the belly.

I think I see one on the bottom fish on the bottom picture. But it will be easier for you to tell in person.

Both female and male bettas will flare their "beard" at stuff. The egg spot is pretty much the best way to tell.

I can’t see an egg spot on either of them but because they’re young that’s why I was going by fins. From what I know, juveniles don’t have egg spots or at least they only become noticeable when they’re ready to breed. It’s the yellow betta that I think is probably a male. I’ll look again to see later but I currently they don’t show an egg spot.

I can’t see an egg spot on either of them but because they’re young that’s why I was going by fins. From what I know, juveniles don’t have egg spots or at least they only become noticeable when they’re ready to breed. It’s the yellow betta that I think is probably a male. I’ll look again to see later but I currently they don’t show an egg spot.

Can you get pictures of them flaring? I can't really see the ventral fins well. If they are like the baby girl/boy cups at Petco then they are pretty good at sexing them right. I would say they are both females since they have plump bellies. Females can have a slight beard and can sometimes have longer fins. Also the baby boy/girls are usually sold before females produce an egg spot.

IMG_1919.JPG

Here’s the best picture of the fish with the ventrals I could get. They won’t flare at their reflection and they also are super active so it’s hard to get a good picture of them. The dark blue and red one won’t sit still at all for me but I’ll try to get something better tomorrow.

View attachment 312886

Here’s the best picture of the fish with the ventrals I could get. They won’t flare at their reflection and they also are super active so it’s hard to get a good picture of them. The dark blue and red one won’t sit still at all for me but I’ll try to get something better tomorrow.

trust me i understand about getting pics of them lol. it is a total pain. the white one looks female to me.

Back
Top Bottom