Betta in shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathenrauch

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to put a betta in my shrimp tank as the one fish its a ten gallon would it work it's also planted

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bettas often go after shrimp, so be prepared that the Betta may hunt the shrimp. It can easily eat young ones, and may damage older ones.

Not every Betta will be aggressive like this, but the majority of them tend to be. Plenty of hiding spots for the shrimp will assist them to survive, and if the Betta isn't too interested in them, enough may survive to keep the shrimp colony going.

How would I know if it's aggressive

You can't really tell in the store I guess if you look at all of them closely which ever ones aren't flaring their fins at any of the other bettas then they are either not as aggressive or they are sick. And then even then you won't be 100% sure until you bring them home and see if they try to kill anything

How would I know if it's aggressive

My betta is quite passive. Only flares when surprised. Went for my shrimp but could never catch them. Didn't stop the odd one or two trying to flee though.

Put them in my main and my angel ate them all >.<

My betta is quite passive. Only flares when surprised. Went for my shrimp but could never catch them. Didn't stop the odd one or two trying to flee though.

Put them in my main and my angel ate them all >.<

I knew that last part would happen and I'm sorry for your loss

Like I said, Bettas can vary. But they are more often aggressive than not. I have one that spends a lot of time hunting scuds on the bottom. They are faster than shrimp and he catches lots of them. I don't mind, the scuds I try to raise as food, but it's surprising how a relatively slow swimming fish can move if he wants to. Oddly, this fish never bothers the snails that share his space,, even though they have very long antennae that many Bettas would bite off.

I have 4 Bettas. 3 of them will not bother snails. 1 Betta kills every pond snail that I put in his tank. All of them LOVE Ghost Shrimp. So, as for me, I have a 100% mortality rate on ghost shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom