Betta Minimum Requirements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
1gl?2gal?5gal?

How do I feed bettas? once a day? twice? Should I feed him/her blood worms? vegetables?

Does substrate matter?

I want to get one and put it on a shelf next to my desk. The smaller the better.

The_Desacrator said:
1gl?2gal?5gal?

How do I feed bettas? once a day? twice? Should I feed him/her blood worms? vegetables?

Does substrate matter?

I want to get one and put it on a shelf next to my desk. The smaller the better.

Around here most of us are going to tell u at least a 5g for substrate sand is always a good bet and food I would mix it up a little

5 gallon is a must for a minimum, many are even more active and happy in a 10g or more. If you don't have the space for a 5 gallon, then I'd suggest against buying one.

You can feed once or twice a day, usually once is considered sufficient. Feed a few high quality pellets like hikari or New Life Spectrum and supplement occasionally with frozen blood worms or brine shrimp (not freeze dried, as those contribute to blockages in digestion). You can also do a weekly feeding of mashed up, boiled, deshelled peas (2-3 would do).

Substrate doesn't matter, you can do either gravel or sand. If you want live plants, then sand or a fine gravel might work best.

5g filtered would be my minimum requirements, a heater would be optional depending what your office temp is kept at. I have Fluval Chi & Ebi with betas. Ones almost three years old with weekly water changes and fed 3-4 NLS pellets every other day. I have sand in both with plants in one and bamboo in the other.

Thanks for the rapid responses

Ok I'll get a 5 gal. Filtered but I am not sure if it will be heated. If a 5 gallon is too big I won't get the betta or tank.

I like gravel its alot easier to clean.

Can I feed live blood worms?

This is for my room, not my office!

Back
Top Bottom