Betta not doing well...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rythos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Soooo. I haven't been back here in awhile, since my fish have been doing fine. I've had to undergo several changes in the last couple months though, and I'm not sure my betta is doing better for it.

First off, my heater broke. It was soaring up to over 90. I tried to keep regulating the water by plugging and unplugging it, but if I ever forgot to unplug it... well. It just wasn't working out. So I've had to rely on my tank sticking a good temperature on it's own - and for awhile, it was doing great! But the last couple weeks, the temp has dropped down to more like... 64. It's up at 70 now, proving that it's kind of fluctuating. Now, I was more worried about my three young Panda Cories with this, but it's just not really affecting them. They all look and act wonderfully healthy, no signs of anything on them or the like, normal perky behavior.

I've also had to start treating my water - I didn't have to before, since I used filtered water and didn't need to worry about chemicals. I just made sure I changed the water frequently. However, our filter on our faucet also broke, meaning I had to start using various treatments on the water.

It is since these two changes that I've noticed Napoleon, my male betta fish, is incredibly lethargic. He often does nothing but lay on the bottom of the tank, and when I spotted him today he... wasn't even blue anymore. He's brown. I'm not sure if he's even still alive. I'm hoping he is - I've had him since November, he's quite the little charmer.

I have a 10 gallon tank, and the betta and those three cories are the only critters in it. I treat it with AmQuel+, one for tap water chemicals and one for ammonia, as directed. My betta is fed Wardley Betta Food, and the cories get the occasional tablet of NutraFin algae tabs to make sure they're getting enough food. I sometimes drop in a few dried bloodworms. My filter is a Tetra Whisper made for 10 gallons, a special one that came with a heater and fits nicely inside a rock formation so that no fish get too close to the heater or filter. (The filtered water pours out the top of the rock formation where the "bag" is nested)

Unfortunately, I've never had the resources to test the water. I STILL can't get ahold of strips, and I was trying to all weekend. They're oddly expensive here, and I'm unemployed in college. Trying to convince my parents to pick some up for me, they seem unconvinced that my fish are that important to me.

Last edited:
No strips. API freshwater master kit is the way to go. As for the betta. Do 2 50% water changes a day, and try and get hold of some prime water conditioner. Stop the ammonia stuff you were given, and substitute it with 50% water changes with the water conditioner. Order the test kit online from petsmart.com for about 30$ and the prime for about 7. I'm trying to support my ten gallon too. I'm 13 and have to buy EVERYTHING myself.

I probably can't get ahold of the kit until next month at that price... I can probably get my hands on the conditioner though. Thanks so much, I'll keep checking back and giving updates. Hopefully he starts looking up.

Your welcome. I know It's tough saving. My fish survived 3 months of fish in cycling while I saved for the kit. But I was also doing 2-4 50% water changes a day.

Back
Top Bottom