Betta Problems--Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenna_bear8d

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

I'm having some problems with my two Bettas. I'm not entirely sure what information is all needed to help, so I'm just going to do my best.

Last week I left for vacation, and had someone come in and feed my fish for me. I returned to find that my two Bettas seem to have some issues with their fins. Virgo, the lighter colored Betta, has some severe fin chunks missing, while Scorpio, the darker one, seems to just be starting to show something up with him. Both Betta are eating and acting like nothing is wrong.

I've seen problems such as fin rot and fin melt being thrown around, but I'm not sure how to diagnose them, and I'm also not sure what to do.

My current set up is a 10g split tank with a divider, a heater, and a hang on back filter. I use a piece of a water bottle to keep the flow from being too strong. I also have a small home made water bottle filter on the other side of the tank (because the filter is only on one side due to the divider) with just an airstone in it and some filter fiber, held up close to the top of the water. This is just because my tank gets that pesky protein layer on top and both my fish hate too much action in their tank, so it keeps just the surface rippling. My tank is also cycled.

Sorry if I'm giving way too much info :hide: I'm just worried because this is my first time keeping Bettas as an adult. I have another tank with some Gourami and friends that have been flourishing, and I've only had this Betta tank for a month and a half, and this happens :banghead:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I can go to the store tomorrow and get some medication if needed. I have Bettafix that a friend gave me from when she kept her Bettas, and non-iodized sea salt (I've read that this is the same as what they sell for aquarium salt, hopefully it's right?) I haven't done any treatment yet, but have been setting up a quarantine for when I figure out what to do.

Here are some pics of my two beauties shortly after I first got them, and today. The cup pictures are them today, since I took them out to get clear images. I'm hoping that this isn't something they've had for a while and I just didn't notice, but I'm not extremely well versed, so it's a possibility.... :facepalm:

(The split in Virgos tail is normal, in case anyone saw it and was wondering!)

Attachments

• 20161115_135812.jpg
    20161115_135812.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 20161115_135806.jpg
    20161115_135806.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 40
  • 20161128_135439.jpg
    20161128_135439.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20161128_135402.jpg
    20161128_135402.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 41
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by fuzzy, but the coloration seems the same to me. The Scorpio always had a bit of white on the tips, and Virgos fins were always slightly see through.

I'm leaning towards yes, the coloration is the same. They just seem to be degenerating or something.

Back
Top Bottom