Betta question!!! Please read...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a gorgeous male Betta last Thursday. I knew I'd have a problem cause I seen the other fish in tanks were not took care of. So I get him with hope. Bought a 10 gallon tank, filter and heater. Cycled the water over night left him in his cup. But I put him on top of the water of my 75 gallon. Nice and warm for him. I noticed a little black spot on the tip on the bottom fin. Thought maybe it's just his color. Still not really sure. But I'm thinking of putting a treatment of the salt in. I ordered it last wk should be here soon. I was just wounding. Should I or should I wait and see if it clears up on its own. He's in a clean tank now and loving it. But I don't want it to get any worse. Will it clear up with cleaner water. Or do you think I better treat it now and nip it in the butt?

I've seen the general consensus being that clean water with frequent water changes should clear things up. I'm not sure what he has (if anything) but maybe start with the simplest solution then go from there.

I'm thinking fin rot starting. It's not much at all . I don't like to put alot of stuff med. Stuff in my tanks. I've been keeping a very close eye on him. Don't seem to be getting any worse. But, I'm just worried.

It could also be just his coloration changing. My boy didn't really have much blue or black when I got home but in his new happy environment (not a cup lol) his true colors start emerging. Hopefully you're will be just fine.tapatalk_1489196317359.jpg

God knows I'm no expert, my betta's fins looked really crappy with black trimming around the edge. I was thinking your thoughts, but I did nothing but observe. With 4 days of clean water now, and his constant grooming. He looks great. He was dragging his fins across everything he could.

God knows I'm no expert, my betta's fins looked really crappy with black trimming around the edge. I was thinking your thoughts, but I did nothing but observe. With 4 days of clean water now, and his constant grooming. He looks great. He was dragging his fins across everything he could.
That's what mine does. He swims around so fast, and wraps his body around everything he can. He looks good, and even better as days go by. I'll probably just hold off on my thoughts and watch him close. Clean water and 10 gallons of freedom all alone. He should be fine. I hope!

Well! I knew it... This morning I noticed a white spot on him right behind his eye area. He's going through treatment now! Should have just nipped it in the butt at the beginning. But, I'll get it fixed! Just wanted to update y'all! He should be better in a few days.

Still gonna treat him anyways because it's a sore spot. Think I figured it out! Apparently, he nicked himself on the clip of the suction cup on the back that's holding the air stone down. Eliminated that! OK, now back to work!

Update:Stopped treatment day after, cause his water with medication was making levels go up to caution toxic. Thought I'd try to just do water changes. They say time heals all wounds. That's all he needed. Tested his water every few days. Then water changes with double dose of conditioner. He's face is cleared up. Now just working on his tail. He's looking alot better and still very active. So, no worries!

Back
Top Bottom