BETTA SHOCK. help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you added seeded media to the filter you should either add your Betta in or use pure ammonia as an ammonia source. Fish food isn't going to do much. You will need a ammonia, nitrIte and a nitrAte test. The API master test kit has them all.

Yeah, but could a shrimp or something produce the amount of ammonia I need? & I sae the test kit you're talking about and the cheapest one was about 30 dollars! I'm gonna save up & hopefully get it in a week or so. I was thinking about what could I have in a 2.5 tank with my betta but its only so big so i'm not sure if that really is doing too much.

flame_fish said:
Yeah, but could a shrimp or something produce the amount of ammonia I need? & I sae the test kit you're talking about and the cheapest one was about 30 dollars! I'm gonna save up & hopefully get it in a week or so. I was thinking about what could I have in a 2.5 tank with my betta but its only so big so i'm not sure if that really is doing too much.

A live shrimp? Like a ghost or cherry, no probably not. I still think your should do a fish in cycle with your Betta and get him out of that bowl. If you can't get a test kit ASAP just do 50% PWC everyday and that should be enough. After it's cycled then you could get 5-10 shrimp for the tank as well. Shrimp are alot more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than fish.

Alright, how long should I do the 50% water changes? like for a week for two?

flame_fish said:
Alright, how long should I do the 50% water changes? like for a week for two?

Until you cycle is finished. We went over this already. When the ammonia and nitrite is at 0 and stays at 0 by itself. After that happens then you can go back to weekly PWC. :) it can take 4-8 weeks but you won't know it's completed by just looking at the tank or guessing. Thats what I test kit is needed for.

Back
Top Bottom