Betta tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cilantro

Aquarium Advice Freak
What other fish can live with a betta in a ten gallon bought a baby one from petco felt bad for him in that little container

depends on the betta, shrimp would work, possibly a small schooler but like i said depends on the fish

Basically anything that isn't too nippy or overly aggressive. And no frilly tails, such as a male guppy, because a male Betta will attack them.

A lot also depends on the individual betta's personality. Some are overly aggressive, while others are as laid back as can be.

It will also help if you rearrange the tank when you put the other fish in, because it will seem like new territory to the Betta.

I had him in a community tank with some guppys and Corey's DON'T if he came from a small container but some red cherry shrimp are good just get lots of hiding places and maybe some snails if u don't have real plants

Shane l said:
And put him in an hour after the other fish and let him float in the bag for 20 mins so he sees every one that worked well for me

+1

Bettas are territorial, so it helps if they think it's a new area where other fish already live. That way the Betta can claim their new territory, instead of feeling like newcomers are intruding.

I might try shrimp are there any nice bright shrimp and if yes us there a his sitem to buy shrimp from and its a10 gallon

And it was labeled baby betta

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111128_205943.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111128_205943.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 55
  • ForumRunner_20111128_205950.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111128_205950.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 56
Bettas are carnivores, so they may eat shrimp. But there are tons of very colorful shrimp out there. A good place to start looking is liveaquaria.com. They have lists of some shrimp, among other fish. A very colorful shrimp is a Red Cherry Shrimp, but like I said, the Betta may eat them, and some of the prettier shrimp are more expensive.

Ok so I bought two panda cory and they are doing awesome with the betta and was wondering how many can I have in a ten gallon

I would say just three or four. I don't know if they could fit in a ten gallon long term.

Ember tetras as mentioned are a good choice. I have also had success with espei rasboras, which IMO should fit in a ten gallon, though IDK about their minimum tank size requirements.

I think that that betta is a "short finned betta" or a Female. But its definitly full grown.
As for tank mates shrimp im sorry just CANNOT go into a tank with a betta. I have tried severel times and have failed everytime. They are simply an easy snack for the fish. Ember tetras or neons would work. Maybe even some ottos or pygmy corydoras. But shrimp just cant go into the tank :D

Hi,adding into this question, i have a aqua one 36 litre that holds 7 pygmy corys(named after the 7 dwarfs!!)I would love to have a siamese fighter as my dad used to keep them when i was younger. Would this be a problem alongside the corys, i ask because the corys zip to the surface every now and again to take in oxygen as thier species does, and i am curious if this would freak the fighter out. the corys are very active and bumble about a great deal, i often waste a lot of time just watching them!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom