betta tank upgrade!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just moved my betta from a 3 gallon half moon to a 10 gallon standard :) he and his friends (2 ghost shrimp and a nerite snail) are happily exploring right now :)

What do you guys think? Comments and suggestions? :D

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120823_225128.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120823_225128.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 139
  • ForumRunner_20120823_225152.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120823_225152.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 137
Here's a better pic of the tank. I definitely want to get some more plants and some red cherry shrimp too

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120823_225508.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120823_225508.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 141
jetajockey said:
I like the sand choice. I don't think the betta and rcs will work out very well, but who knows.

Thanks :) yeah I'm a little worried that he will go after them because of their color, I believe he was behind the mysterious death of the third ghost shrimp and his original tankmate, an amano shrimp that I was planning on only having with him temporarily completely disappeared without a trace...
But I think the rcs would look gorgeous against the black sand so I might risk it and put just one in there to begin with and see how he reacts :) if he takes it out, I guess I'll get him some more ghosties lol

It's not the color as much as the size, RCS are little, the big adult females *might* be safe but usually once a fish figures out that they are edible it's only a matter of time. If you can get some cheaply though it's not like it'd be a huge loss. Another alternative would be to put a partition in the tank.

datkush said:
Thanks :) yeah I'm a little worried that he will go after them because of their color, I believe he was behind the mysterious death of the third ghost shrimp and his original tankmate, an amano shrimp that I was planning on only having with him temporarily completely disappeared without a trace...
But I think the rcs would look gorgeous against the black sand so I might risk it and put just one in there to begin with and see how he reacts :) if he takes it out, I guess I'll get him some more ghosties lol

When I had ghost shrimp with my betta they did fine together until it came to molting time. When the ghost shrimp started molting the betta went after them like crazy but never when they were free swimming. Also I like the tank alot. You should throw a background on it!

datkush said:
Here's a better pic of the tank. I definitely want to get some more plants and some red cherry shrimp too

Do you have two Red (most likely Bronze) Wendtii in there? It's interesting to see that one looks taller whilst the other looks wider.

Also, what is that tall, stringy stem plant to the left? It's probably not, but it reminds me of my Star Grass!

Lastly, I honestly wouldn't add the RCS unless you get them cheap or know that your Betta wont prey on them. And judging by his track record, he is going to prey on them. Only other option is to do what Jeta says and portion it...but that's no fun :)

Predfan27 said:
Do you have two Red (most likely Bronze) Wendtii in there? It's interesting to see that one looks taller whilst the other looks wider.

Also, what is that tall, stringy stem plant to the left? It's probably not, but it reminds me of my Star Grass!

Lastly, I honestly wouldn't add the RCS unless you get them cheap or know that your Betta wont prey on them. And judging by his track record, he is going to prey on them. Only other option is to do what Jeta says and portion it...but that's no fun :)

Yep they're both bronze wendtii, I have no idea why one is taller than the other lol. I took them out of my 75 but they've both always looked like that.

I honestly completely forget what the name of the plant on the left is, well the one in the front at least. The one in the back is anacharis.

Yeah lol about the rcs, only one place sells them where I live and they're $3.99. Is that a good price or normal?

jkdubs2 said:
When I had ghost shrimp with my betta they did fine together until it came to molting time. When the ghost shrimp started molting the betta went after them like crazy but never when they were free swimming. Also I like the tank alot. You should throw a background on it!

I was thinking about a black background :) would that be good or one with a picture?

datkush said:
I was thinking about a black background :) would that be good or one with a picture?

I always go black background. Makes everything stand out. I do it do much that I just ended up painting the back of my tank so I wouldn't have to replace the paper.

And yeah, LFS will do that with Shrimp. I got mine from Maxwellag and they came in great. I also know that Severum Mama has Orange Mandarin Shrimp which are just as hardy.

But again, I wouldn't suggest them with your Betta.

Okay and I think I will put a black background on it :D

Thanks christine!

Predfan27 said:
I always go black background. Makes everything stand out. I do it do much that I just ended up painting the back of my tank so I wouldn't have to replace the paper.

And yeah, LFS will do that with Shrimp. I got mine from Maxwellag and they came in great. I also know that Severum Mama has Orange Mandarin Shrimp which are just as hardy.

But again, I wouldn't suggest them with your Betta.

You wanna hear a secret lol..
On my 75 gal I did it the ghetto way and taped two garbage bags to the back lol. You'd never know the difference

datkush said:
Okay and I think I will put a black background on it :D

Thanks christine!

Ya I've tried other colors of backgrounds and they never seem to look as good so black is def the way to go.

Took a trip to petsmart when I woke up this morning :D

Added some moneywort and water wisteria and a marimo moss ball. Also 5 more ghost shrimp and a golden mystery snail, and I put on the black background :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120824_112348.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120824_112348.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20120824_112425.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120824_112425.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom