betta vs. tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ktw020

Aquarium Advice Activist
If i put a male halfmoon doubletail betta with a few neon tetras would the betta mess with them?

Probably not, but it all depends on the temperament of the betta. What size tank are we talking about?

Havent got the tank yet, just wanted to find a plan before i decided the tank size.

Neons need swimming space of at least 20 gallons. If you did that, it would work out well. But just in case have a back-up tank

Adding alot of plants will aid in keeping the neons feeling safer. If you get a nice Betta they will be fine, if you get an aggressive one they you will most likely have to move the Betta to it's own tank. We have three Betta's in tank, two of them are nice guys and can handle other fish, one is a terror and lives alone with a couple of cory cats. That is one thing, Betta's almost always accept Cory cats in their tanks. Since the cory's are not brightly colored and swim on the substrate the Betta's, even mean ones tend to ignore them. But mind you on rare occassions a Betta comes along that can't be kept with anything. Try it and if it works great, if not as already stated, have a back up plan.

I'd be more concerned about the Tetras nipping at your Betta to be honest.

Neons aren't nippers. In over 30 years of keeping them I've never seen them nip anything. But if you do get neons you should get at least 12 in a 20. Not only will they feel more secure in a group but they will make a much better looking display in a larger group.

For this plan, I'd suggest a 20 gallon tank. You can probably also add some cories to the stock list. As Rivercats said, they often don't bother cory cats. Some pygmy cories or panda cories would work.

Back
Top Bottom