Betta with community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HectorAndFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a betta in a 5.5 gallon tank right now, but I was wondering if I could move him with my 90 gallon community tank. Is it safe for him and my other fish?

If the betta has been used to living on his own, he may react poorly to the guppies. You can test it by floating him in the 90 inside a breeder net or breeder box for a few days and see what he does when they swim by. If he doesn't seem to mind them, you can try letting him out while watching him like a hawk for a few days to ensure no fights break out.

My main concern with having him in the 90 would be about how much current and how shy the betta is. Some will get stressed by all the activity that's usually present in a large community and will just hide in the corner all day. If the current is moderate or stronger, they may get worn out more easily too. That's not to say it can't be done, just keep an eye on him for the first week and be ready to move him back to his old tank if he's having fights or appears stressed.

Great advice above.

Definitely watch him. Every betta is different and sometimes they snap even after being in a community for an extended time.

I had one that didn't even tolerate watching my dog walk past the tank. The one I have now doesn't care about anything...he tends to lay in a pile with my Cory's when they nap. Oddest fish ever.

The other thing to watch for is that guppies have brightly colored fins. Many bettas go after them because it reminds them of another male betta.

Thank you guys :) the betta didn't react so fondly to the guppies so I'm leaving him by himself. And the stress around him could've been too much. But thank you from me and any future bettas I get :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom