Betta with torn fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
I bought a new betta fish two weeks ago and he is happily living in a 2.5 gallon aquarium by himself with one little live plant, one fake plant, and a floating betta log thing. It does have a filter and I've been changing about 3/4 of the water each week. He is feisty and enjoys watching people. All was fine until randomly today when I noticed his fins are looking kind of torn. Is it fin rot, or has he damaged them on an ornament in the tank, or maybe got them stuck in the filter? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMAG0846.jpg
    IMAG0846.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 135
What kind of filter is on the tank? Does it have a lot of suction? Have you tested your water? Sorry for the questions but we need a little info before we can help. :)

Some long fin betta males will start nipping at their own tails which may be a possibility as well. Some stop doing it, some don't and no one really knows what causes it. I have a male tail biter. He started biting it when he fully matured. Very frustrating.

The tank was cycled for a few days before adding him with old gravel and water from an already established tank, but I checked the water levels last night and the nitrites were a little high - not quite .25 but not 0 either... I'll do a couple 1/3 water changes today and tomorrow until it gets lower. The filter's suction is also a little strong, I've seen his fins get stuck to it several times and he has to wiggle himself off in frustration. I'll try to watch him more to make sure he's not nipping at himself, poor little guy. Thanks for the help!

The tank was cycled for a few days before adding him with old gravel and water from an already established tank, but I checked the water levels last night and the nitrites were a little high - not quite .25 but not 0 either... I'll do a couple 1/3 water changes today and tomorrow until it gets lower. The filter's suction is also a little strong, I've seen his fins get stuck to it several times and he has to wiggle himself off in frustration. I'll try to watch him more to make sure he's not nipping at himself, poor little guy. Thanks for the help!

You might just have too much stuff in that tank. It's very small and he needs lots of room for his finnage. I don't like seeing bettas in anything smaller than 5 gallons for just that reason. They need to spread their wings. ;)

I think 2.5 gallons is adequate for a single betta. Maybe changing the filter would be a good idea. I use sponge filters or the small cheap single box corner filters with frequent 1/3 water changes. Bettas don't much care for strong water circulation so keep it light.

Just make sure to watch the damaged fins as they are open wounds and are susceptible to fungus.
He's a pretty fish by the way and the fins should grow back in time.

I agree with Mumma that it looks like fin rot. I don't think it has anything to do with the filter. I agree with Kepo that not all bettas like much current, but i highly doubt the filter is sucking him in. Healthy fish can swim away from the filter. Bettas are not all treated well before they make it to your loving tank, especially if you got him from a store in a tiny cup. Clean water does a world of good for fin rot. I also suggest using a little bit of salt. :)
Fin rot is a generic symptom and can be caused by several different issues, but its usually pretty easy to treat with clean water. If the rot is more aggressive, you can try some betta fix or something like that to help him out. Its a good sign that he is still swimming around and active. :)

Back
Top Bottom