Betta with velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well today I shinned my betta with a light and I noticed one of his front fins has a gold dust kind of grey only on his left front fin and his chin. He is active and he eats like a pig he sometimes swims at the bottom of the tank other than that he seems very healty.

He is in a 10 gallon tank with
3 Zebra Danios
4 neion tetras

Should I treat the whole tank? or just wait

2eurbc2.jpg

2le5qvm.jpg

Velvet Treatment

If your Betta shows signs of Velvet, it is best to isolate him for treatment. If you are dealing with a Velvet outbreak in a fry tank, it is best to treat the entire tank. Do a complete water change if your betta is in his own container, and a 30-40% water change if it is in a community/fry tank and you must treat in the tank. Adding aquarium or rock salt (dissolve before introducing to the tank) will help until stronger medications can be purchased, and can be used in conjunction with medication. Many of the same medications that are useful in the treatment of Ick are also good Velvet treatments. Aquarisol is my personal favorite medication for Velvet, but Maracide, Malachite Green, and Coppersafe (as well as other copper-based medications) can be used. Be aware that stong copper-based medications can eventually lead to poisoning, so water should be changed frequently after treatment to remove the medications, unless you are treating in a container that gets 100% water changes. Also be aware that some of these medications are harmful to plants and invertibrates, so do your homework before treating in tanks containing plants and invertibrates.

Once medications have been added, if at all possible, increase the tank temperature to 82-84 degrees F. This will speed the life cycle of Velvet and allow the medications to kill it faster. If your treatment container is too small to heat, allow the medications to work at their own rate but try to place the container in a warm area of the house. Keeping the tank dark will also help to destroy Velvet, as Velvet is actually a parasitic algae and requires a bit of light to survive. Keep an eye out for secondary opporunistic infections, as fish that contract Velvet are already in a weakened, vulnerable state.

Velvet Information and Symptoms @ petfish.net

I can't tell without seeing him and a flashlight. :( If he looks orangy/rusty when you shine the light down him, then I would say yes, and treat him.

I can't tell without seeing him and a flashlight. :( If he looks orangy/rusty when you shine the light down him, then I would say yes, and treat him.
Well only his his font fin,but it has always been that color for a while.

Well, then I would wait a few days, and see if it spreads. According to what I read, it is similar to ich. I would try to check out the other fish too.

The other fish seem to be ok,but it looks like its only his chin,but he has had that since i got him in december,but here are some more pictures with me flashing a flash light.

pbtsp.jpg

6nsgog.jpg

212e81k.jpg

212e81k.jpg

Ah okay, well the chin looks like what 2 of my bettas have, and have had. And the part on his body just looks like he kind of has shimmery pink on his scales. :)

Ah okay, well the chin looks like what 2 of my bettas have, and have had. And the part on his body just looks like he kind of has shimmery pink on his scales. :)
I think thats a reflection of my red camera so does he look ok?

He looks fine to me. 2 of my bettas have the same thing on their chins. I would still keep an eye on him for the next week or so, just in case, to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

He looks fine to me. 2 of my bettas have the same thing on their chins. I would still keep an eye on him for the next week or so, just in case, to make sure it doesn't get any worse.
ok thank you.

Back
Top Bottom