Betta wont breed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishforlife

Aquarium Advice Activist
My male betta made a bubble nest , it's big so I release the female but the male won't breed or try. He only attack and he doesn't do the mating dance but he do it with my other male awkward.

My male betta made a bubble nest , it's big so I release the female but the male won't breed or try. He only attack and he doesn't do the mating dance but he do it with my other male awkward.

Males attack females prior to settling down to spawn. If she is not ready, he can kill her so make sure she is plump and showing that first egg.

Another problem can be the temp. Males make nests at a variety of temps but the females sometimes only spawn at certain temps. I find 80-82 degrees best for breeding.

As for the dance, what you are seeing between the 2 males is aggression not breeding dance. You DON'T want to see that in breeding fish. You want to see them embracing not fighting. When I breed, I put the female in a clear jar inside the tank. The male will come over and flair out his gills. If the female is ready, she will get vertical spawning stripes and flair back to the male. It is only after I see this that I release my females. ( You can see a pic of these stripes in my albums in my profile.)

Hope this helps. (y)

Males attack females prior to settling down to spawn. If she is not ready, he can kill her so make sure she is plump and showing that first egg.

Another problem can be the temp. Males make nests at a variety of temps but the females sometimes only spawn at certain temps. I find 80-82 degrees best for breeding.

As for the dance, what you are seeing between the 2 males is aggression not breeding dance. You DON'T want to see that in breeding fish. You want to see them embracing not fighting. When I breed, I put the female in a clear jar inside the tank. The male will come over and flair out his gills. If the female is ready, she will get vertical spawning stripes and flair back to the male. It is only after I see this that I release my females. ( You can see a pic of these stripes in my albums in my profile.)

Hope this helps. (y)

I looked at your pictures! Beautiful! I especially like the Betta in your profile pic!

I looked at your pictures! Beautiful! I especially like the Betta in your profile pic!

Thanks. I really liked the Betta in my profile pic a lot too. When his colors first started, he actually showed what would be considered a butterfly pattern but it was in blue. I got really excited with this prospect of it staying that way. As he got older tho, the blue spread out more and eventually became almost all blue with just a little red in the tail. :( Not what I was hoping for so off to the market he went. He's somebody elses pride and joy now :D

Hope you get your breeding situation fixed. PM me if you still have questions (y)

Back
Top Bottom