Betta wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My friend got Betta female very small healthy an doesnt seem to eat if it does rarely we have flakes and pellets just seems to spit out food and she doesn't want to buy frozen or live food any suggestions?

How long has she had it? How long has it gone without eating?

Also tell us about her set up. Tank size, filter, water changes, etc.

It's in a 1 1/2 gal bowl had it for a week our house temp is preety good about 68ish more or less . I have 7 Betta in same conditions doing great . WC is once every two weeks

It's in a 1 1/2 gal bowl had it for a week our house temp is preety good about 68ish more or less . I have 7 Betta in same conditions doing great . WC is once every two weeks
Well I know you don't want to hear this, but bettas shouldn't be kept in bowls. Especially if the bowls are unfiltered. In a bowl I would do water changes once a day. I'm guessing there is high ammonia in the water. But in a small confined space it could be anything. I would invest in a small 5 gallon tank at least with a filter.

Well I can't afford that and most of my Betta have lived this way for several years. My granda had one live 4 years tht way

Well I can't afford that and most of my Betta have lived this way for several years. My granda had one live 4 years tht way
Okay well as long as you keep up with water changes, I think you'll be fine with that. You seem pretty experienced. But the question is- is your friend experienced enough to be able to keep a betta happy in a bowl?

She had her last one for 2 years but was owned by someone else and was bout from chain store so her last one prob died age of 4. We are roomates

She had her last one for 2 years but was owned by someone else and was bout from chain store so her last one prob died age of 4. We are roomates
Hm. Interesting. Try soaking some of their food in garlic. If that doesn't work, then
A- you're overfeeding anyways
B- there is an internal issue
Or
C- she's conscious about her weight :D haha but really. There may be something wrong. But you did say she eats occasionally so that's a really good sign that there's nothing really wrong with her. Try switching foods also. Sometimes they get sick of their boring old food.

This is her
You're right she is super small, but I would guess from age, because the fin size is proportional. Maybe not though. I'm not 100% what's going on. We need somebody who's more experienced with bettas! I've only bred them- I never encountered that many problems, but I read up about some diseases. Make sure though not to stress the betta out. Sometimes in new homes they won't eat due to stress.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom