Betta's in his new home but I have a question!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Question though....he is flaring like crazy at his reflection on the back wall of his new 10 gal....it has a planted background taped to it....will he calm down eventually? Or should I take the background off?

I think it would be a good idea to replace the background. As long as he can see his reflection he'll think that it's another betta and will flare and wont calm down.

Cobaltskyy said:
Well when I went to take the back ground off guess who was fighting his own reflection in the front corner of the tank?!?! LOL I think he's protective of his new home! LOL

LOL That's why you cannot have 2 male bettas in the same tank. :D

Some people will tease their bettas and use a mirror to make them flare :) that's a good size tank for a betta. Nice!

Cobaltskyy said:
He is so funny!! I am so glad I put him in a 10g!!!

That's what size mine's in. Their personalities shine so much more in a ten then in a five.

pics? i've got Poseidon in a 10 gallon (crowntail betta) but getting another for my 5 gallon!!

Here's Patriot's new "condo"!! LOL I can't get a good close up of him right now cuz he is determined to get reflection in the filter!! You can see him in the upper left flaring at himself....I hope he gets tired or realizes there isn't another fish there!

Yea he was placid before!! He didn't really even react to a mirror! Now he is in full on fight mode! LOL

I had to scoop out some water earlier...the outlet from my filter was under water and he snagged his fin on it :( good thing I put Stress Coat in the tank while acclimating him....I think he will be fine once he settles in. He is already looking tired.

I experimented by putting a white envelope over the filter and he did calm down so if he continues this obsession I may have to cover it.

Mine flared quite a bit at his reflection in a black background for about a week after I put him in his new home. But now he rarely does it.

He's much more interested in the possibility of food from me (or anyone) who walks by his tank. :)

Mine flared quite a bit at his reflection in a black background for about a week after I put him in his new home. But now he rarely does it.

He's much more interested in the possibility of food from me (or anyone) who walks by his tank. :)

Well that sounds promising! I covered the filter with a white envelope....it has helped a little but I think once he just settles in he will be fine...

I don't have backrounds on any tanks w/ bettas in them. Most males will flare at themselves all day, and that is certainly not healthy..very stressful for them. Catching their reflection occasionally in a typical tank set-up is healthy though :)

My betta tank has a homeade backround, on a piece of construction paper. Since it isn't reflective, it doesn't stress him out.

Wow that's cool. I had a matte black backround on my 20 and Tie Dye the betta sat there all day flaring at himself the first day I got him so it had to come off.

Back
Top Bottom