Better water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
When i do water changes, the water in the tank is always pretty cloudy for like 6 hours. Is this normal or is there any way to stop it?

what kind of substrate are you using?

If your using sand you could try putting the new water in, in a way where it doesnt disturb the sand too much.

If you have gravel it could be you need to gravel vac more but even then the filter should clear up the debris pretty quick..

I have sand but i pour the water in easy and sometimes i even get some tubing and put the bucket above the tank and siphon the water in and it still is cloudy

your sand has alot of residue or is too fine grit.
try some water clarifier, it will cause the smallest sand that makes the water look cloudy get trapped in your filter and you can rinse it out or throw it away when you change filter cartridge.
my tank is half sand/ half flora max since I have lots of plants on one end.
but Ive had lots of sand tanks including saltwater tanks.
sand blasting is a nice alternative.
take a pic if you have a smartphone and post it.

Better Water Changes

Hello Tiger...

If you use a syphon to replace the water in your tank, prime it and then place the end inside the tank close to the glass. This way, the water runs down inside of the tank wall and doesn't disturb the substrate as much.

You'll still get a little cloudiness, so if possible get a small HOB filter and set it up with only polyfiber pads as the media. The polyfiber is very dense and will filter out all the tiny particles in the water. The water will be crystal clear in a few hours.

B

Bbradbury do mean get another hob? Because i currently run a 55 aquaclear power filter

The background is bright blue! It might be my lighting a little too. Because when i turn the tank light off and look by sunlight it looks really blue. Im using an aqueon 8000k t8 17 watt full spectrum daylight.(the one that came with the highly overpriced hood :D

Attachments

• image-672042849.jpg
    image-672042849.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom