Big Chain LFS vs. Puppy Mill LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The majority of puppies sold in pet stores are NOT from puppy mills. They're ridiculously overpriced, but most are from reputable, ethical breeders. Don't judge the store before you know where the puppies actually come from!

I have to agree to some degree, only because in my state the puppy mills are not quite as common however "auto magazine" breeders have just as bad of a reputation and often will not let buyers see the mother and bring the litter to a "front" house that seems normal. It's up to the consumer to ask the tough questions and walk away from a puppy if something feels wrong. You should be able to contact their vet if they are reputable. AKC papers matter in my opinion

Anyway, don't know about Virginia. My aunt mentioned puppy mills in New York and I was quite surprised!

Shipping can be expensive but you could buy from reputable online fish stores instead. No corporations, no terrible advice from ignorant employees, no puppy farms, and the fish are probably more healthy than at the LFS anyways, and definitely more healthy than at the chain stores.

lardeelion said:
The chain LFS is all about corporate greed and dumb advice

I'm sorry, but these are such ignorant statements. Chain stores are all about corporate greed and bad advice? Corporate Greed? Its called seeking a profit, which is a good thing. Reputable online fish stores aren't corporations? Corporations are a legal entity formed to protect the owners of a business, the business assets, and for tax purposes.

LiveAquaria.com, one of the most reputable online fish stores is owned by Foster And Smith, Inc., which is a corporation https://www.wdfi.org/apps/CorpSearc...6-598f2c32a511&type=Simple&q=Foster+and+Smith

Another reputable online fish retailer, That Fish Place (thatpetplace.com), is a divison of Fish Net, Inc., which is a corporation
https://www.corporations.state.pa.us/corp/soskb/Corp.asp?117288

SMH

That's a fair point, if a tad harsh. You're right; there's nothing wrong with capitalism. There is, however a tendency for the larger chain stores to put profit above the health of their animal stock. The look on my son's face when his [chain store] guinea pig died after two days was heartbreaking, and we've all seen less-than-ideal conditions in some of the fish sections. These corporations aren't in the business for the love of animals. I guess if we remember that, then we can make our own decisions on where to shop.

There's no reason to use the word "ignorant". We're all expressing opinions here. I think everybody knew what I meant.

Back
Top Bottom