Big dilema: Sand or Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beginner on the loose

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a 20 gallon tank. The problem is that I love the look of sand but I hear it is hard to vacume. I dont like the fake looking kind of gravel, im into realistic looks. But then im stuck between the two and need your help to make a good decision. So back to the big question: Sand or Gravel?

Last edited:
Sand for sure. There are cheap alternatives as well if you go with sand as well such as play sand, pool filter sand, sand blasting sand. It's all up to you to determine the ultimate look. And it's a lot easier to vac in my opinion. Just hover the gravel vac over the visible debris, since the debris will stay on top of the sand rather than sink between the pieces of gravel.

Sand for sure. There are cheap alternatives as well if you go with sand as well such as play sand, pool filter sand, sand blasting sand. It's all up to you to determine the ultimate look. And it's a lot easier to vac in my opinion. Just hover the gravel vac over the visible debris, since the debris will stay on top of the sand rather than sink between the pieces of gravel.
That makes sense now, my last tank took alot of work because I had gravel and needed to dig in it to clean it thoroughly. But since the sand is more dense the debris only sits ontop. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom